An Expensive Morning . . .

Yesterday was a ridiculous day.  I've been working in my home office to get it back in some sort of shape.  I started this project three days ago.  It was a big job to sort/file/toss all the paper, and it was really dusty in here, and, and, and . . . So I started.  And I made substantial headway that first day.  Probably close to 2/3rds of what I initially wanted to accomplish was done.  The second day was taken up with other miscellaneous house things, but I worked in the office a bit, and then I grabbed all the thumb drives I had and pulled everything off them, filing/tossing as I went.  I got a few done.  

That brings us to yesterday.  I sat down again to work through more thumb drives and got another few done.  Then I had breakfast, and when I came back into the office, my computer monitor was flashing on and off and pixelating all over the place. 

It's lasted through two computers, so I really can't complain, but it threw a huge wrench in my plans.  I figured I could use the old telly in the guest room as a monitor, but it's so old that I needed a converter box to go from RCA to HDMI.  In the midst of searching through the myriad cables I have for assorted electronics in case there was something I could use, I realized that I needed to check one more place - the basement, where another "cable box" lives.  And, to my horror, the basement was full of water.

Not all 50 gallons came out - but it took me quite a while to use a broom to move it to the new floor drain - because OF COURSE, it headed for the OLD floor drain because the basement is still pitched that way.  I called my cousin who gave me the name of a plumber - who initially said he could come today, which would have left me with no hot water yesterday.  But he found someone to do him a favor, and another plumber was finally at my house around 4:15 yesterday.  It was a two and a half-hour job, but it was done.  

The old heater was 16 years old.  I had it installed before my late mom and I moved into this house.  So, it had a good long life.  Interestingly, it had split.

And it also pitted at the top from the inside out - which isn't usual.  

It took a really long time to completely drain.  

It was really full of sediment . . . 

While I was waiting to hear about the plumber, I decided I'd just order a new computer monitor, which I arrived this morning.  

 And then I opened my car insurance bill.

 It was an expensive morning . . .

 

Comments

Ely said…
“Interestingly...”
Indeed.

Your morning was like a never ending story of ‘what the what?!!!’
Retired Knitter said…
Oh, I know the "horror" of finding water in your basement. That happened to me in the townhouse - I had about 2 inches throughout before discovering it. We had a pipe burst in the basement. What a mess! Carpeting had to be pulled up etc.
A :-) said…
Ely - I wasn't so kind in my assessment ;-D

Elaine - I'm so sorry that happened to you. When I first bought this house there were massive water issues in the basement - in fact, I should have sued the former owner for not disclosing them. I spent many hours mopping, using a syphon to syphon thousands of gallons of water out of the crawl space on to the floor and into the floor drain. I've also spent tens of thousands of dollars on interior drain tiles, wall crack patches, etc. It was really a mess, so I feel your pain with that burst pipe. Ugh

Popular Posts