Patience . . .

I woke today - four days after my surgery - and felt pretty much human!  Wow!  And so I went on about my business and around 2 when I would normally have taken my next dose of Tylenol I was feeling so good that I skipped it!

OMG.  This was a mistake of the first order and one I will not soon forget.  

By about 4 o'clock my jaw was absolutely throbbing and I finally broke down at 6:30 and took some Tylenol. Of course it's going to take more time for it to build back up in my system.  Letting my pain get ahead of me was not one of my better moves, unintentional as it was.  I'm going to bed early again, but I'm going to read and if I can stay up until 10:30 I'm going to take a second dose of Tylenol.  Dang!All the nerves around the site are firing like mad, which makes the pain spread throughout my lower jaw on the right side.  It's like when I needed the original root canal.  I know it's going to calm again, but waiting for it - well, let's just say that I'm not patient.

Anyway, it was a painful lesson to learn.  I don't know what made me think I was fine four days after surgery.  While I am healing, I'm not all the way healed and I still need pain control.  

I'm hanging in and I'm still here - unlike this favorite of mine, gone far too soon . . . 


Comments

Retired Knitter said…
Mouth pain is the worst. Just a thought. If you find you can’t get ahead of the pain with Tylenol (which worked previously), you should consider that maybe this is a “new something” and will need more doctor attention than just taking a Tylenol.
A :-) said…
Oh ugh, I hope you're not right about this one, Elaine. I have been able to catch up with the Tylenol, so I'm grateful. I do need to take it every six hours, though, or the nerves start firing again. I know it's going to take a little time to heal. I'm not the most patient person - I remember thinking I should have been healed after shoulder surgery much more quickly than I actually healed (which according to the surgeon was right on track :-) )

Popular Posts