Stir Crazy . . .

The weather here has been just brutal for going on two weeks.  It keeps snowing and then dropping down into polar vortex temps.  I have only left the house one day since my oral surgery, and I had to wait for my driveway to be plowed to even do that.  Here's a look out the back.  We've had well over a foot of snow.

I was considering a walk today, but although my driveway is relatively clear (it snowed overnight and the driveway guy came this morning.  Again.), my street is not.  Walking in my hiking boots is not ideal, so once again, I'm in the house and I'm finding myself resistant to walking on the treadmill.  I always worry that that's going to cause a plantar fasciitis flare.  

So, I'm stir crazy.  I've been watching the impeachment proceedings but even though I am hoping for a miracle and I don't see how it's possible that GOP senators can ignore what to me is clear evidence of 45's repeated lies and incitement to riot, I'm afraid that this will fall mainly along party lines. But really, I have been more focused on the pandemic and on how things are going.  Yesterday there was a post on FB from President Biden.  Here is what he said:  

"When I took office three weeks ago, America didn’t have a plan or enough supplies to vaccinate most of the country. But my team got right to work, we’ve increased weekly vaccine shipments by nearly 30% and purchased enough vaccines to vaccinate all Americans."

And I thought to myself, is it really only three weeks?!?!?!  I'm so grateful with how quickly we are moving forward.  J got his first shot on Thursday and I'm so happy for him!!!

Interestingly, my Fitbit synced the other day and said that I had 172,500+ steps.  In one day.  That equates to more than 90 miles.  Well you know that I didn't walk 90 miles in one day.  The next day then said 231,000+ steps which is 123+ miles.  Turns out I needed a new battery.  I got one out of the freezer and changed it.  So far things are looking much more normal in the step range area.  I went in on my computer rather than the app and told Fitbit I was driving the entire time and it removed the hundreds of thousands of steps  :-D   

I was worried about how my tooth extraction site was looking so I called the oral surgeon's office yesterday.  They called me back yesterday and I have been reassured.  When my surgery was completed last week, I had some dissolving sutures and my gum tissue was sutured together across the site.  My stitches have dissolved and when I looked in my mouth a couple of days ago, it looked like this:


I know that's kinda gross.  I was like - is there supposed to be a HOLE there???  Remember, I've not had anything like this happen since I was a kid (and they no longer pull teeth for kids for braces . . . ), and I thought maybe I messed up somehow because my gum was no longer "together."  Rule-follower that I am, I have done everything and followed all the post-surgical instructions, but I thought that since the gum was sutured together that it should have stayed that way.

Well, no.  This is totally normal and apparently I am healing well.  They explained that my gum tissue will eventually close but that the site has to heal from the inside, out.  They also said I will likely have some grittiness from the bone graft as things are going long in there.  Here's a look a couple of days later.

It's closing - i.e., it's healing from the inside, out.  But it's weird.  Today I halved my Tylenol dose and so far that's working for me.  I think that's good news  :-)  

Here's something completely random.  I'm kinda liking my own hair . . . 

Yes, that's me with no makeup, no eyebrows, and barely a comb through my hair  :-D  You might remember that I got a haircut in July where I ended up with calico hair.

 

It's actually long enough now to capture it and the calico ends that are left don't seem to be quite so visible.  The other thing I have noticed is that the natural wave I had as a kid seems to have returned now that my hair is (mostly) in its natural state.

I cannot remember the last time my hair was this long . . .  I think about getting it cut - and I will have to get it cut at some point to cut out the last of the red.  I think it's thicker and there seems to be more of it since I stopped "encouraging" it.  I find that interesting.  

Has anyone else watched Bridgerton on Netflix?  It's seriously good!

I kinda love this song from a seriously inclusive band from a time when things were not always so inclusive . . . 


Comments

Retired Knitter said…
Yes, I loved Bridgerton. Glad you gum is healing. That must be serious procedure to still be taking Tylenol for it. I am guessing since it was a bone graft it would have been bone pain and that would really take some time to resolve. My own dental experience has only gone as far as a root canal - and once the root was totally out - the pain was gone. Glad you are healing.
A :-) said…
Elaine, thank you. I’ve been able to cut down my Tylenol just these past two days and I think I’m healing well 🙂 on another topic, I know I’ve commented on your blog recently, but they don’t seem to come through. I’ve really enjoyed all your puzzles. 🙂
Michelle said…
Just to butt in here, my dentist explained when he did my two post-extraction bone graft that it consists of putting a granular material in the void left by the extraction that the body can form new bone, so not traumatic at all, Elaine. Glad you're doing well, A! Our power is back, so life is returning to normal....
A :-) said…
Michelle - yes, that's the procedure I had. I think that the hole was bigger than just where the tooth was because of the cyst/abscess. I am SO glad to hear that your power is back on!!!

Elaine - I think I had to take the Tylenol longer than you might think because (1) that tooth had been bothered for some time and all the nerves in the bone around it were firing like mad just from having the extraction and cleanout of infection; and (2) I'm a wuss. :-D

Popular Posts