That's Huge . . .

Two days in a row!  Yay Me!

So . . . um . . . I think I'm going to get a couple more sets of blocking mats.


It's not quite in place correctly yet.  I was going to use the wires again, but I just cannot face them for something this massive.  Yes, that's the entire length of my guest room.  Since this would need to be reblocked if it ever got wet, and since I'm seriously considering a red one (here is the beginning) -
 

I think another set or two of mats will not go amiss.  They are on their way from Amazon, along with an Instant Pot.  

My mom used a pressure cooker regularly.  In fact, I still have her old one.  I thought I had posted about it here a few months ago, but I don't find it.  Hers was a Presto.  I believe she got it as a wedding present in 1953.  Since things were made to last back then (I still have her original Electrolux vacuum - it's been the basement vacuum at this house forever, and at her house it was the main vac until she got an Oreck), it probably still works . . .



Anyone of a certain age pretty much lived in fear of the regulator - that's the weight that sits on the top.  It regulates the steam inside the pot.  It has a little "handle" (which is hard to see in the photos) and you pulled it off with a fork at some point near the end of whatever you were cooking and hot steam came flying out.  "Don't Touch It," was a familiar refrain when I was growing up. My mom used to make something called Porcupine Meatballs, which consisted mainly of ground beef, rice, and tomato soup.  Even though I don't care for tomatoes, I remember really liking Porcupine Meatballs  :-D  I'm afraid to use her old one - it hasn't been used for at least 13 years and probably closer to 15.  I attempted to donate it to a 1950s museum nearby, but I never heard back from them.  My book club is planning a tour there, so I might bring it with me and donate it then  :-D

Anyway - For someone like me, who loves to cook but doesn't have enough hours in the week to do so consistently, I think the Instant Pot will be a helpful choice.  It's really just a modern day pressure cooker.  We'll see.  I got a 6-quart size.  I'd really like to make some soups that are low in sodium.  I really like to take soup for lunch in the winter when it cold, and now all the canned varieties are pretty much off my radar because of their extremely high sodium content.

This is a welcome day off from work and I have a lot planned.  The furnace guy is here checking both the furnaces and both the AC units.  They check them annually but they are never available to come when I'm usually home.  Today worked out great!  I need to finish up the order for the rosettes for the Illinois state African violet show and get it in the mail, and I need to pick up the mail that was held while I was in Wisconsin.  I also need to go to the store and get some vegetables.  I'd like to actually cook a few things today while I'm home!

I'll let you know how it goes!   In the meantime, I need to finish getting that Find Your Fade into a little better shape to block successfully.  It is blocking, however, so I can mark it done - I'm movin' on!


Comments

Knittinggarden said…
My mom had a pressure cooker like yours and you're right - we were terrified of the thing. And we were just talking about instant pots at my knitting group last week. I'm not sure I'll get one but they sure look a lot safer than the old pots!

Popular Posts