"Take it easy, but take it"

Studs Terkel died today. :-(

A true legend in his own time. The master of the oral history - pretty much created the genre. A pioneer in what became known as the "Chicago school" of television back in the early 1950's. A "character" if there ever was one.
If you don't know who Studs Terkel was, you owe it to yourself to go and pick up a copy of Division Street: America, or The Good War, for which he won a Pulitzer. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of his work and recordings are at the Chicago History Museum (formerly the Chicago Historical Society). In fact, if you have any interest at all in the history of Chicago in all its facets, a day or two at the History Museum would be a great thing for you :-) It's one of my favorite places, although I haven't visited it for awhile. I used to live very close to it and visited a lot more then . . .

Studs Terkel was the commencement speaker at my college graduation ceremony . . . and one of those people, like my late mother, who you'd think would always be around - ageless somehow. He was 96. Roger Ebert wrote about him in the Sun Times today - it's worth reading. So are Studs Terkel's books - there's a new one coming out next month - a memoir. It's on my "to read" list.

Comments

Popular Posts