It's February . . .

I'm here. 

I've been having a flare of inflammatory pain across the top in my left foot since January 16th. 

It's The No-Fun Plan and it's directly caused by having too much sugar.  Again.  At the moment, even dried fruit is too much.  So it's back to the full dose of my anti-inflammatory and no added sugar.  It's clearing, but it will take awhile for it to clear fully.

My Snow-Day earlier this month was exceptionally productive - I got a lot of batch cooking done and I did get that kitchen bar cleared and all the Christmas stuff put away  :-)

February always seems like the longest month even though it's the shortest.  I don't like to wish my time away, but it's been a tough month all around.  Another school shooting, and closer to home on February 13th, the murder of Chicago Police Commander Paul Bauer.  Shot by a career felon wearing body armor and carrying a modified automatic weapon.  At a stairwell at the Thompson Center. Less than two blocks from my office.  In the Loop (downtown Chicago).  The entire city was heartbroken. 

I was affected by Cmdr. Bauer's death more than I can say, even though I did not know him.  I'm not so naive to think that all cops are good cops, but I was raised to respect the police who work so hard to keep us safe in this city that I call home; and by all accounts (including from a personal friend who knew him), this man was one of the best.  He was 53 years old, a 31-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department.  He left behind a wife and 13-year-old daughter.  So yes, in case you were wondering, it's quite possible to support our police and armed forces and not be conservative in one's politics.  I spoke with a police sergeant in front of the Thompson Center a few days after the event to thank him for his service and express my condolences on Commander Bauer’s death. I was having a hard time putting in to words why I’ve been so affected by his death when I didn’t even know him personally.  The sergeant thanked me, and said, “We’re all in this city every day. One City. One Family.” It just seemed so right somehow for him to say that. I’ve lived a lot of places and I always come home. Chicago and those of us who live and work here are different than any other place I have ever lived. We truly are one city and one family. 

I was walking back across the Loop (Chicago's downtown business district) to my office (and car) after seeing the Dentist two Fridays ago. The Loop was relatively empty for a Friday night.  Heading Northwest . . .

The famous Picasso in Daley Plaza at the Daley Center - the flags were at half-mast in memory of Cmdr. Bauer.


Kitty corner from the back of the Daley Center, is the Thompson Center.


 The stairwell at the right front of the Thompson Center where people have left flowers and lit candles for Cmdr. Bauer.


And so - February - not the greatest month this year.  But for me, the days continue to pass and I am grateful for every one I am given.  My office is preparing to move to a new building at the end of April, I watched quite a bit of the Olympics, I'm crocheting a scarf, and I'm knitting a sweater.  I'm practicing Tai Chi and learning Tai Chi Sword.  My Lenten challenges have been not so successful (I only made it four days without potatoes). But I am grateful for the routine of my simple life.  Every day we wake up, is a gift. 


Comments

Michelle said…
There is so much violence in our country anymore that events like the one that affected you don't even make the news here. I keep trying to strike a balance between keeping abreast of what is happening in our world and in our country, doing what I can in the way of a proper response, and not getting depressed at the state of things. Of course, I've read the end of the Book which keeps everything in perspective if I remember to dwell on that instead of the evil....

Popular Posts