It's Time to Clean the Oven . . .

Truth be told, it was time to clean the oven quite awhile ago.  If you've been following my blog for awhile, you likely remember my surprise about four years ago, when I discovered that my ovens are self-cleaning . . . Yes, I really was that clueless. 

:-D

And if you look at that post from December 2015, you will see that, compared to today's oven, the oven I hadn't cleaned in 12 years back then has certainly seen a whole lot more use in the past four years. 

Yeah - this one is gross, it's way nastier than it was in 2015 when I thought it was awful, but I think this is a good thing in at least one respect:  It means that I'm cooking more.  It also means that I need to pay better attention to what I'm doing (OMG, A, how hard is it to remember to put tin foil UNDER the sweet potatoes?!), and it means that I need to clean up the oven a whole lot more regularly.  


Here are the racks - you don't clean them in the self-cleaning cycle, although the original owner did at least once, so this set never gets all shiny anymore.  But at least I will be able to get them clean.


Here they are, sitting on newsprint on the kitchen floor.  I just sprayed them with Easy Off.  It takes two hours to work.


Which is good, because it takes 3 hours for the oven to run its cycle.  I inadvertently set it for 3 hours and 10 minutes, but since you can set it for up to 4 hours, that's not a problem.  So, it's on, it's set, it has locked itself, and I now have 3 hours to do other stuff around the house.  Funnily enough, last time I set it to run for the full 4 hours.  Maybe I should have done that this time - it's way dirtier.  But I didn't.  I guess we'll see how things go. 


For reasons known only to my subconscious, I am afraid to clean the oven overnight.  I am also afraid to leave the house with it running its self-cleaning cycle.  J asked me why and I couldn't give him a good answer.  I guess I feel like if it exploded or something I would be here to call 911 right away.  He did not buy this line of reasoning  :-D  But it's Saturday, and it's like 20-odd degrees out (Mother Nature seems to think it's January rather than November).  I have laundry going and I have to go to the store, but I do not have to go to the store until later in the day.  You avoid the Saturday morning crowds if you go later in the day.  I digress . . .

Besides dealing with the laundry, I have lightbulbs to replace, beds to make, and plenty of knitting to keep me busy, so no hardship there. The 3 hours will fly by, I'm sure.  I'll let you know how it all turns out - or should I say cleans up  ;-) 

In the meantime, yes, the season is coming . . . enjoy the Piano Guys!



Comments

Michelle said…
My oven is 17 years old and has never been thoroughly cleaned (and yes, it needs it). Does that make you feel better? ;-) I could listen to the Piano Guys ALL.THE.TIME.
A :-) said…
LOL :-D Well, for all the cooking you do, you must be really, really neat! But yes, it does make me feel better. And I just took a lasagna out of the oven - no splatters! Yay Me! :-D

Popular Posts