Restless . . .

Is it that summer is more than half over? Is it the weather? I don't know, but I'm restless.

How amazing is this? My cousins, ME and R came over on Tuesday and trimmed all my front and side shrubs. I've been trying to do this for three weeks, now, and they wanted to borrow my hedge trimmer anyway, so they came over and did my shrubs before they went home to do theirs. And here's what's funny - when I came home from work on Tuesday night, I didn't even notice. I'm usually wiped by the time I get home and want nothing more than to just get inside and get changed and have some dinner and crash, but you'd think I'd notice something that major, wouldn't you?

But when I left the house yesterday morning - it was immediately clear to me that the shrub I call the Don King Viburnum had received a perfect haircut. I looked around and realized that they had done the entire front of the house (and the South side!). I thought I would cry I was so happy. You really have to prune the shrubs in July or you risk cutting off all the blossoms that will set by August for the next year, and I just haven't had the energy to do much yard stuff lately for some reason, so this was an amazing gift.

But I'm restless (now I have that Jennifer Warnes song in my head! :-D). Maybe it's that I haven't really had any days off this summer. I've been saving the majority of my leave to go overseas again this fall, and it's making for some very long summer weeks. I do have a little weekend jaunt planned for August, though - I'm going to Heartland. I have always wanted to go there, and it's only about an hour or two South of me. So, I booked a weekend and I'm going!

The City seems to be at its best this summer - with no major stretches of 90+ degree days and plenty of rain, it even smells good. There's something magical about this City. So aware. So vital. Yesterday, the breeze was coming off the lake, and I could smell the water all the way to Clark Street. It was wonderful - felt like I was stepping onto the beach instead of stepping off the curb.

I've had a really good summer, but I'm already thinking about fall - maybe because it's my favorite time of year. I'm not wishing away my days - but I'm thinking that because we've had such a cool summer (which totally rocks, BTW) that I have fall on the brain. Case in point: I cast on for a zippered vest last night while watching Torchwood (a guilty pleasure ;-))(and yes, I still have two other sweaters on the needles :-D). The blue fingering weight sweater is moving right along, and I'm blocking the Noro sweater today - I even did a few rows on my St. Bridget, but that's going to take some focus to get back into the cable pattern. Thankfully the inside rows are pretty easy on that one. Oh, and I have a new pair of socks on the needles as train knitting. So, there's plenty to keep me busy on the fiber front.

Anyone else getting that hankering for crisp mornings and sweater-worthy nights?

Comments

Michelle said…
We usually have crisp mornings thanks to the ocean air, but starting tomorrow it's supposed to get hot-hot-HOT, without the usual dramatic cooling at night. I'm praying the meteorologists will get this one wrong....
Linda said…
Umm...isn't that we've been having already? I had to wear a sweater this AM on my way to the train and last night it was in the 50's in some areas. So unusual for July in Chicago, but I'm not complaining...

Popular Posts