Sands of the Sahara, Part I . . .

OK - let me preface this post by saying: if you know me at all, you know that I am the quintessential "city girl" (even though I now live a somewhat suburban existence ;-) ). For me to actually WANT to camp - in a DESERT - is pretty much beyond belief . . .




We left Fes and headed South for a full day of driving. We headed up through the Cedar forests. I was constantly amazed by the different terrain we encountered daily.













Here, in the forests, we met some Barbary Apes!









We continued over the Middle Atlas Mountains and made our way down to Merzouga, making stops along the way for food and bathroom breaks :-) I was quite careful to drink only bottled water, and eat only fruits and vegetables that could be peeled or cooked (I was hungry for a salad when I finally returned home!).






The terrain changed as we went . . .










. . . until we reached Merzouga, which is - literally - at the edge of the Sahara, and where we relaxed at a simple auberge.












We settled in for an afternoon and evening of relaxation together and with the locals (and that pool was wonderful after a long day traveling).









We had lot of fun with our Berber hosts and entertainers, and I caught my first glimpse of the desert stars that night.

Comments

candy said…
What an incredible journey! And great pictures! Ahh---the stars at night in the desert. I am the opposite of you. I am a "desert rat" held captive in a city.

Popular Posts