Indoor Gardening . . .

Thanks for the beautiful comments on my last post you guys :-)

When last we left our intrepid violet grower (um,that would be me) . . . hell, I hate referring to myself in the third person. When last I left you guys on the topic of violets, I had just had a great show at the Illinois State show.

Today, the Illinois African Violet Society had its Fall Meet, and we had a great group of people! Wonderful panelists, including Morgan Simmons, Gary Mikita and John Regan answered questions for part of the morning. We had a "Dawg" show, where people brought their worst plants (and hey - we all have them - in fact, I won two Best in Class for two horrible plants :-D). There was a silent auction, and a great lunch - a short business meeting, and then I talked about Growing plants for show and took a few of my dawg plants and demonstrated some grooming and repotting techniques.

I think I talked too much, but chatterbox that I am, once I get started, it's hard to shut me up. I was so lucky when I was a novice grower - I was taught by some of the best growers in Southern California and I try to share that knowledge when I can - I did a lot of name dropping today, something I don't usually do - but I like to give credit where it's due, and I would not be the grower I am, nor enjoy it as much as I do had not had a lot of great teachers. I think it went pretty well and I hope to see a lot of plants from the group at our next show.

And tonight, I put together my new light cart. It's the long one on the right. I have been playing around with the location of my stands. I have three of the 2' x 2' carts, one of which is in the basement. I thought about putting the new 2' x 4' cart in the basement, and then thought better of it.

I have three distinct growing areas in my home. My sunroom, which you can see in the photo, the back bedroom (AKA the Guest Room), and my basement. I like them all for different reasons.

The basement is perfect for the streptocarpus plants that I grow - not that many, but they like the cooler atmosphere down there.

And the sunroom location provides me with a lot of joy :-) I really enjoy seeing the plants in the evenings when I get home from work - whether or not they are in bloom. These have all just been set on the new cart so that I can clean up the other two and shift one back to the back bedroom. I'm not quite sure yet, but I think I'm going to leave one of the smaller stands in the sunroom along with the larger one. We'll see. There is a chance that I will take one downstairs - the variegated plants often like to grow in cooler temps.

Sorry for the sporadic blogging, but it's been really busy around this joint lately :-)

And now, back to the cleaning - you can really tell the different between the two I just washed, and the ones below . . . I have my work cut out for me!

Comments

Bethany said…
You are such a good violet mom! I know they love you tons!

Popular Posts