A Goes to the Ozarks: What the Hell?!

I just got back from a weekend in Neosho, Missouri. A lot of you are saying: "Where?!" Well, I went to Fiber Daze to teach a knitting class.

I'm a member of the Fiber Folks of Southwest Missouri guild. I know that seems counter-intuitive, because I never get to go to meetings. But I met all these folks a number of years ago when I crashed a spinning workshop that they sponsored that was led by Anne Field. I crashed, and they adopted me. We've kept in touch ever since, and I attend the Missouri Fiber Retreat as often as I can just so we can see each other :-)

The guild was instrumental in putting together a new fiber event called Fiber Daze, that took place at Crowder College this past weekend. I taught a knitting class there and I had WONDERFUL students!! If you guys are reading, you were/are the best!!! :-)

It was awesome! Great teachers, an exceptional vendor room, and just an all-around good time - mark your calendars NOW for next year!! If all goes well, it will be the fourth weekend in September!

I didn't buy any yarn. Well, no, I did. I got an HPKY Giant skein in the Tosca colorway, but Diana didn't have the right amount for the size I wanted, so she's having it drop-shipped to me :-D Probably a good thing, because I had NO room in my suitcase because I had to put all my spinning tools in my suitcase - I didn't think the hand cards, flick carder and bag of spinning wheel tools would make it through security as a carry on :-D

I also got some pencil roving and a braid of blended top - photos to come! I also ate a Sonic burger. It was pretty good!

I also got to catch up with my friend Tammy, of the Proverbial Knitter podcast. She lives down in Springfield, Missouri, and also is a member of the guild and taught at Fiber Daze. On our way back to Springfield on Saturday evening, we took the scenic route through the Ozarks - it was a really beautiful drive, but I kept seeing things that were completely out of the ordinary for me, and exclaming "What the hell?!" Hence the title of this particular post :-D And then, Tammy and I met up with blogless Christa (the three of us are the moderators for the Ravelry Group: Year of Stash Socks) and had brunch in a restaurant called Hemingway's.

Unbeknownst to me, Hemingway's was in a place called Bass Pro Shops. I was like, "what the hell?! Why are we going to the Cabela's of Missouri?!" Well, who knew it was the mothership of the Land of Bass? It's really quite amazing inside, and I bought a duck. A wooden duck :-D (Hey - I like water fowl!) Plus, I got to shoot stuff, (did you know that I'm actually not a bad shot? :-D I don't know why there are lines in the photo :-S ), and we had a wonderful brunch together :-)

I am reminded again how lucky I am to have such great opportunities and such wonderful friends. I enjoyed Tammy and her husband Robert's hospitality, and I fell in love with their dog, Jed :-D He's very, very cute!! Brunch was Sunday morning, and I headed back to Chicagoland in the afternoon. Unfortunately, my flight was delayed for about an hour, but the Springfield airport is very nice (small!).

Not much blogging lately, but I promise there will be more. Soon :-)

Comments

Tammy said…
ROFL - you crack me up! So great to spend time with you, and Jed misses you. :-)
Michelle said…
Welcome back, you wanderer, you! (-;
Danelle said…
Aww, shucks. The class was great! I am finishing my sample socks, I promise. Great to have you in the Ozarks - glad you made it back home safe.
Danelle (currently in Taos!!)

Popular Posts