Happy Thanksgiving

Every year at this time, I really do take some time to think and write about that for which I am thankful. It's a long list this year. I am very blessed.

I have spent my morning going through old photos because I'm going to my cousin N's for Thanksgiving day. My family is from Belfast, and when my grandparents came here, bringing my mom and my uncle (yes, I'm a first-generation American :-) ), they were the only members of my grandmother's side of the family to come to America. Everyone else went to Canada. N is my Canadian cousin. Her mom (see the cashmere scarf below) is the last living link to Belfast. She was my grandmother's niece - the grandmother who taught me how to knit. Anyway, I'm going to N's this year for Thanksgiving and I'm really looking forward to it.

And so I went through the old photos to see what there was. It's hard now - my mom and grandmother are both gone, and neither of them were very good at labeling anything . . . but I can identify a few people, and one of the Canadian's has started big into genealogy, so I'm taking what I can today and it will be fun for them to at least look them over.

And there are boxes of them - my mom's life in pictures. She never got around to sorting them out, and there are more pictures of her various Maltese dogs than Carter had pills. :-D I think this will be a very good project sometime soon. It's the last thing to do - the last stuff to go through that was her's. I did all the rest, but there were so many photos that I just couldn't face them when she died. But now - now I think the time might be right. So many memories . . .

I am thankful for my family . . . for my friends . . .that I have a job . . . that I have a roof over my head and food to eat . . . that I have a car to drive . . . warm clothes to wear. I am thankful for every single day that I wake up - life is short and I long ago stopped wishing away my days. I'm thankful for every minute I have, even the irritating ones (my friends call me a "glass half full" person). I'm thankful that I am healthy, that I can hear, I can see, I can sing, and dance, and make music. I'm thankful that I can knit, and spin, and create with my hands. I'm thankful that I have loved and been loved. I'm thankful that I can walk to work - well, walk to the train and then to work. I'm thankful that I live in Chicagoland. The list goes on, but you get the picture. I'm a very lucky woman. Pretty much the luckiest woman in the world, if you want to know the truth :-)

Happy Thanksgiving - I hope that your day - and your life - is filled with joy and all the things you are thankful for.

Comments

Popular Posts