Hot Hot Hot . . .

Holy Smokes it's HOT.

I spent 4th of July inside.  Except for when I went out to the store. 

OMG.

There was a breeze - but the air was so hot that the breeze was like walking by a blast furnace at the steel mills.

Geez.

I am very, very grateful to have a cool, air conditioned home, even though the bill for June is going to be pretty spendy, I'm sure.

It was really great to have a day off in the middle of the week  :-D  I worked on a sock, and watched episodes of Heartland, a Canadian show that I fell in love with a few years ago.  Sometimes it airs on WGN, so you might want to check it out. 

All the music on the show is pretty great, but there is a song from an episode in the second season, that just blew me away when I heard it the first time.  It's called Eyes Wide Open, by a group of First Nation (Saulteaux, Anishnabe, Tahltan, Dene, and Salish) women called M'Girl.  This is a music video that they made.


I have been unsuccessful in finding their CD, but I put a search on eBay, so maybe one will come along.  They are from Vancouver. 

I would like to go to Vancouver some day - I know a lot of televisions shows are shot there, and it always looks very beautiful.

I've had another rough week with food.  Been feeling a bit sorry for myself with The Shoe.  Even though my foot is not hurting, my physical activities have been seriously curtailed, and that's been difficult for me.  I did go swimming over the weekend.  Laps.  Nonstop for half an hour.  And I was reminded that since I was a kid, whenever I go swimming, as soon as I get out of the pool I am, literally, starving and want to eat immediately.  I'm hoping this will be remedied in the future by putting a piece of string cheese in my bag to take the edge off, rather than going to the deli for a corned beef sandwich . . .  :-S

It's Thursday, though, and my food week starts again today, so it's back to the future for me  :-)

Just a quick update on my new podcast - you guys, the response to All About African Violets has been overwhelming, and all of it extremely positive.  With more than 500 hits in just a couple of days, I'm really thrilled!  :-)   And, of course, the realization that it wasn't a one-shot deal is beginning to hit me now  :-D  I already have most of this week's show outlined, and will start filming one of the segments tonight.  I could have done it yesterday, but I decided to truly relax on the holiday.

In other news of last week.  I have another loom.  Yes.  Really  :-D

To make a long story short, an old friend of mine in Colorado was going through things in the basement and found his late aunt's loom.  He rang me and said, "A, do you know anyone who weaves?  I've got Aunt Martha's loom and I have to get it out of here."  And I said, "Um . . . me."  :-)

He said it was in two boxes - the first one arrived last week and the second one is on its way now, I think. 

It's Louet table loom, 4-shaft, with Texsolv heddles.  The book said it's a W-40, but I can't find any reference to that, and putting it on Ravelry yielded info that it's likely a Kombo, which was Louet's predecessor to their Jane table loom.  It does look quite similar. It came with eleventy million sticks and bits and shuttles and reeds and I think either a sectional beam or a raddle.  I'm not sure.  It's currently resting on the kitchen floor.  It weaves 16" wide, so I think it's going to be good for scarves and table runners, and towels.  I really need to get cracking again with weaving!.

Louet W-40_01

And the kitchen bar is COVERED again . . .

Louet W-40_02

Yesterday I bought a Reed Rack - it should be on its way to me today.  I can't have all this stuff all over everywhere all the time - it needs its own place.  I'm thinking about finishing one section of my basement and making it a weaving area.  Not sure yet how that might shake out, but it's definitely on my radar.  The sunroom is getting really full of stuff - awesome stuff, to be sure, but even though it's a huge room, it's feeling very crowded lately.

I will be interested to see what the other box holds.  I believe it might be a stand for the loom, which would be awesome!

If it's hot where you are, be sure to drink a lot of water and keep as cool as you can - they are predicting temps in the three figures here today . . .

Comments

Amy said…
I love new looms and my Jane. After Midwest I bought an inkle.

Popular Posts