Ten on Tuesday . . .

Today's Ten on Tuesday topic is:  10 Movies You Have To Stop & Watch When You Come Across Them While Channel Surfing

Hmmm - I don't often find movies while channel surfing, but if I found any of these, I would totally stop and watch  :-)

  1. History is Made at Night, 1937, with Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur (probably my all-time favorite movie)*
  2. Auntie Mame, 1958, with Rosalind Russell
  3. Bagdad Cafe, 1987, with CCH Pounder and Marianne Sagebrecht
  4. I've Heard the Mermaids Singing, 1987, with Sheila McCarthy
  5. The Man Who Fell to Earth, 1976, with David Bowie
  6. Lost in Translation, 2003, with Bill Murray and Scarlet Johansson (Bill Murray was robbed of the Oscar that year)
  7. Babe, 1995, with James Cromwell (don't watch the sequel - it's terrifying)
  8. Love Actually, 2003, with everyone in the UK world :-)
  9. Salaam-e-Ishq,  2007, with Priyanka Chopra (yes, that Priyank Chopra) and Salman Khan, and a cast of everyone in the Bollywood world.  Essentially an Indian Love Actually.  It's long, but it's wonderful  :-)
  10. Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, 2008, with Shah Rukh Kahn - probably the best love story ever.
Now I want to watch some movies  :-)

*Just a side note on History is Made at Night.  This was my mom's favorite film, and if it was on the late night movie she would stay up to watch it.  I heard - my entire life - what an amazing film it was, but I never caught it on telly.  When the VCR came into existence, someone got one for my mom and she said to me, "What am I ever going to use this for??"  I suggested she see if she could find her favorite movie on VHS . . . She did and was thrilled beyond belief.

I was home for a visit in the late 1980s, and she had gone out one afternoon.  I found the video and popped it in to the VCR thinking it could not possibly be as wonderful as she always said it was.  This was back in the day when I was still a smoker and still drank Diet Pepsi.  It was mesmerizing and absolutely as wonderful as she had always said.  I think I chain smoked through the entire film and drank an untold number of cans of Diet Pepsi.

It's on YouTube now in parts, because I imagine it's in the public domain.  I have it still on VHS and on what is likely a bootleg on DVD (as far as I know it has never been released on DVD, unfortunately).  It's the best movie ever and I highly, highly recommend it.  The suave and debonair Charles Boyer.  The beautiful and funny Jean Arthur.  The hilarious Leo Carillo.  The dastardly Colin Clive.  You really need to see it.  Trust me  :-)

Comments

Popular Posts