Where Does the Time Go . . .

I cannot believe that tomorrow it will be October (!) Really.

This is my favorite time of year - I have always remained stuck in the "new school year" calendar, so September / October seems more like the New Year than January. Now always seems to be the time to reflect on the past year, and this one has been a watershed in so many ways.

A number of years ago, my life changed dramatically through circumstances over which I had no control. In a 10-month period of time, the rug was yanked out from under me on virtually every level of my life. Talk about the universe clearing the decks . . . I took one of those stress tests, where they ask you a series of questions about "have you experienced this event in the past year." You tally up your score and if you have more than 400 points, they say you are in critical stress - I think my score was around 800 . . . So, what do you do when you're standing in the smoking rubble of what once was your life?

At first, you do what you know. You put one foot in front of the other and you keep moving forward. Sometimes it is as simple - and as difficult - as just getting out of bed. Every morning. and then the path appears and you begin to let go - because when you hold on to the past, you cannot remain in the present, and you certainly cannot move forward into the future. You learn, and you heal, and you love, and you laugh and eventually the future becomes now :-)

And now as always, I am truly the luckiest woman in the world. So much laughter and love and learning in my life! Thank you one and all! In this year: an amazing trip to the Isle of Iona, learning to spin (fiber, not a bike!), blogging, wonderful friends and family - when I count my blessings (and I do!), I realize anew just how lucky I am. Life just keeps getting more interesting and more fun the more I move forward. As I look back from this vantage point, I see how far I have come on the path to myself.

I believe that you cannot know great joy unless you have known great sorrow. I mean, really - how could you truly know one from the other unless you have experienced them both?

I am lucky to know the difference.

Comments

Kris said…
Okay...hold the phone. Could it be another newbie spinner right around the block.

Howdy...just checking out your blog after you sent a message to the SnB Tinley group...how fabulous.

Hope you can make it out on Wednesday!
A :-) said…
Hey Kris! Thanks for stopping by :-) I hope to get there this Wednesday, and yes, I'm a newbie spinner. A :-)
Linda said…
You were the one that told me to keep my hands open, not crunched up in anger or frustration, otherwise I could never receive what was offered to me. Seems like you've been able to grasp a lot of good stuff by following your own advice!

Popular Posts