Stash Busting . . .

So - my best intentions of being on the stash-busting wagon for a year (with one or two dispensations . . . ) made it nine whole days. What happened, you ask? Wollmeise and Socks that Rock . . .

Part One: At the Michigan Fiber Festival I decided to buy some Socks that Rock yarn. I've had the pattern for a scarf called "Crossing Over" for more than a year. I got from Toni at The Fold. She had the completed scarf on display at her place and I really really liked the colors, which were Farmhouse and Fred Flintstone. Well, Farmhouse was easy - but according to Toni at the time, Fred Flintstone had been a limited release. I bought a different skein of another yarn that had similar colors, but never made the scarf.

I checked over a period of months on eBay and then on Ravelry, but I could never find any Fred Flintstone. I looked again on the Socks that Rock website just a few days before the Michigan Fiber Festival - no Fred Flintstone. So, I decided to purchase a different skein from Toni (at the festival) and figured I'd go with that.

Part Two: On the Wednesday after the Fiber Festival, I happened to stumble on some info that Claudia, the Wollmeise, had announced that she was having a sock club for 2008-2009. Wollmeise is the current "hot" yarn. I have two skeins of it - one in laceweight that I got before she really took off, and one from The Loopy Ewe's Spring Fling event (in the goody bag!). But I've never scored any from Claudia's German site, and I never catch it when Sheri adds more to the Loopy Ewe site. This is not surprising - 300+ skeins of the stuff go in like a couple of minutes.

Wollmeise yarn is beautiful - no question. And Claudia's colors and the color-saturation are pretty amazing - but I don't have the time or wherewithal to stalk it. I figure I'll get some when I get some :-) (and I'd link to her site, but it appears to be down).

Part the Next (a/k/a Where One meets Two): Enter the sock club announcement. Of course - just days after I make this big hoohaw righteous statement on how I'm going to knit and spin from my stash for a year, all of sudden there's a Wollmeise sock club. Great. I've never even had an interest in sock clubs before - I mean I'm approaching SABLE* in the sock yarn category so I was never tempted. Before. Right. I decided that if I got in it would be one of my dispensations, so I signed up and tossed my hat in the lottery ring. And even though I set the intention that I would get in - and I'm a really really lucky woman - I didn't really imagine that I would actually get in because I figured a bazillion people would sign up for it.

And then on a whim, I checked the STR website that same Wednesday to look at the Raven Clan colors one more time. And what do I find??? There on the main page of the Multicolor Wave yarn: Fred Flintstone. Geez - you think they could have put it up the week before the festival, wouldn't you?! Well, I really wanted to get it, but decided that I would wait to see if I got into the Wollmeise sock club, and then I'd do all my damage at the same time. It would be all, or none.

Conclusion: Lucky girl I am. :-) It was all. So, when you see this graphic in the months to come, you'll know not to peek if you don't want to be spoiled.

And in the mean time, I await the arrival of Fred Flintstone (with another Raven Clan color tossed in for good measure - I know, I'm hopeless).

Happy Labor Day!

*SABLE = Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

Comments

Knitterary said…
My Irish granny says, "Angels laugh when humans make plans." (qouth she who vowed to cast on nothing new for the next four weeks) (can you hear the guffaws from above?)

I think it's fantastic that you found the Fred Flintstone yarn after searching for it for so long. That's something to celebrate!
Anonymous said…
Mazel Tov on making the club and finding Fred Flinstone!!!

I will live through you vicariously over the next year with all the Wollmeise lovliness :-)
Michelle said…
Well, you have a lot of fiber friends to name in your will.... :-)

Popular Posts