Monday, March 20, 2017

Hurry Up and Wait . . .

I have been feeling very much at loose ends.  I remain very tired and have low energy since The Kidney Stone Incident.  I feel like it's taken on its own identity and is a proper noun now.  :-D

I saw the physician's assistant at my new urologist's office last week.  She was able to start the ball rolling on the battery of tests I have to have.  That means that I still don't know anything.

They have requested all the imaging and records from the ER, hospitals, and the previous urologist.  I guess that can take some time to get.  In the mean time, I had to pee in a cup, and they took blood for more blood work.  On tap for this week, is another ultrasound of my kidneys and bladder, and a 48-hour urine collection.  That will be my exciting weekend activity  ;-D  Seriously, I'm staying at home because you have to get it all or the test will not be accurate.  Apparently this test is one of the most important for them to be able to tell me what, if anything I might need to adjust to avoid another stone.

Interestingly enough - I was advised to stop drinking all the extra water and to eat how I have normally been eating.  This makes me nervous, but apparently they have to see where I am now to know what, if any, changes might need to be made going forward.  They didn't seem too concerned that I might be forming another stone in the meantime, so I'm doing my best not to worry about it.  I'll see the actual doctor in early April, and then I should know more.

There's a chance that this was a one-off and I might not need to change anything.  I know I keep saying this - I've been saying it for weeks and just said it above, but I'll know more after I see the doctor.  :-D  Through the online portal I was able to see the results of the blood work they did, and apparently I'm a bit anemic.  I suppose that could account for my tiredness, although they did take a ton of blood out of me in the ER and hospital.

In other news of the day - my Run the Year page keeps disappearing.  I think it's something to do with  the HTML for the ticker I've been using.  I think I'm going to have to discontinue that if I want the page to show up again.  Bummer.  I liked the ticker.  In any case, I'm currently behind and haven't had enough energy to get on the bike and rack up some miles.  I will need to do this soon.

I finally finished the Hale-Bopp shawl, which was a mystery knit-along on Ravelry.  I'm not sure that I care for it - but it's done except for blocking.  Photos soon!  And yesterday I picked up a sock for the first time since the Year of Stash Sock group on Ravelry folded.  I was seriously "socked out."  :-D  This is a plain vanilla sock that I started back in November.  That was the month when things went pear-shaped here in the US so it's not really a surprise to me that I haven't looked at a sock in all this time.  I'd like to finish this one, though, mostly just to be done with it.  The yarn has great qualities, but it really is not comfortable to knit with.  I had just finished the cuff and was just in to the leg of the second sock when I set these down.  Time to finish.  :-)

Yesterday I drove over to Valparaiso, Indiana for a craft fair that was billed as "Shipshewana on the Road."  I love Shipshewana - it's Amish country in Indiana and I've been there multiple times.  It's peaceful and pretty and the food is good and the shopping is great - beautiful hand-made things.  I always enjoy the time I spend there, so I thought it would be big fun to drive about an hour east and check out this fair.

What a huge disappointment  :-(   It was mostly commercial vendors with things like tube socks, t-shirts, sweat shirts, junk, makeup overstocks, hot tubs, and more junk.  I picked up a couple of things from the one or two vendors who had interesting/unique stuff, and there were a couple of food vendors in the hall who had Amish food and/or breads without preservatives, etc.  Of course, being Sunday, there were no Amish people in sight.  I'm really sorry I paid four bucks to get in and I certainly won't go again.  It was like going to Swap-O-Rama, where it's mostly permanent vendors, not flea market individual/interesting vendors.

At least it was a nice day for a drive  :-)  And, I was listening to the Oldies radio station and I heard some great music I hadn't heard in forever.  Here's an oldie - not one of the ones I heard yesterday, but one of my favorites . . .


Michelle said...

I understand the "hurry up and wait" frustration, although my situation is familial, not health. I need to find and start another knitting project, because knitting and my horse time have been my saving graces!

candy said...

Were you under anesthesia? Just wondering, because that knocks your socks off for a long time. Hope you feel better soon!

A :-) said...

Hang in Michelle :-)

And Candy, yes. I did have a general, but I wasn't out very long - it was a short procedure.