The Sunday Wrap Up

I did go back to work this week - and I was pretty wiped out every evening.  I missed Tai Chi (you know I was tired if I missed Tai Chi).  I'm still going to bed early most nights and sleeping right through.  I also saw my primary care doc this week and that made everything so much easier.

I am extremely grateful for the insurance I have, and that I have a wonderful doctor.  He has a private medical practice - sometimes called a concierge practice.  He didn't when I first saw him, but he's been my doctor for at least a decade and he's the best doctor I've ever had.  I gladly pay his fee every year to continue to have him as my doctor.

He agreed with me that the urologist I had for the surgery was not a good fit for me, and he's set me up with another urologist in the same medical system.  I'll see the new guy on the 24th and then I'll have more concrete information on everything.

I did receive the results of the composition of my stone - it was a calcium stone - two different types:  80% Calcium Oxalate Dihydrate, and 20% Calcium Phosphate.  What this means for me going forward isn't clear yet.  I'll know more after I see the urologist.  I do know, however, that he and my primary care doc will likely send me to a dietitian to be able to work on crafting a plan for whatever and however I need to eat going forward.  In the meantime, I'm just to keep on drinking more water.

The research I've done on my own seems to suggest that it's not a matter of cutting out a bunch of foods - many of which are healthy choices - but rather a matter of eating foods in certain combinations so that molecules combine in the stomach rather than them getting to the kidneys where crystals can be formed that then form into stones.  As mentioned before, my guess is that my last bad habit (salt) might be instrumental going forward.  Something to consider, however, is that as far as I can tell, most of the research has been done on men, not women.  Of course I will have a lot of questions for the "Stone Man," as my primary care doc calls him.  It will be interesting, I'm sure, and, in any case, I will do what he tells me because I never want to have another stone.  Seriously - I think I said this before, but if they told me that I had to learn to stand on my head and do it every day for the rest of my life.  I'd do it.  That's how bad the pain was . . .
 
It's been a quiet weekend for me - yesterday I ran some errands - took a bag of stuff to the Second Chance Shop, and went to the local framer, who announced on FB that he was retiring after 40 years.  I figured I'd better get the stuff in that I had let sit.  Three etchings of Heidelberg, purchased when I lived there a million years ago (I'm having them redone together), and an original piece by Inuit artist, George Ahgupuk that my father bought back in the 1950s.

A little 80s flashback this afternoon.  I saw Any Trouble on tour with Joan Armatrading back in my Germany days.  This is one of those bands where you have to wonder why they never broke massively large.  They were so great.  They don't really exist as a band any more, although they've reformed a number of times.  Their lead singer, Clive Gregson is still making some great music.

This has always been one of my favorites - from their third album, Any Trouble.

Enjoy  :-)

Comments

Popular Posts