Shields Up!

I had number of friends contact me privately about "how difficult it must have been" for me to post my photos last week. 

It wasn't.  It is what it is.  I have walked this road so many times - never learning to truly maintain one size.  I think it's difficult to explain to anyone who has not struggled with the size of their body.  It's one of those things that, unless you've experienced it yourself, you really have no concept of what it's like. And the journey has already been interesting.  :-D  I'm laughing because once again, it just is what it is.

A lot of stuff transpired yesterday - all of which was a week or two in the making. 

Interestingly enough, I felt nervous about the day yesterday morning.  My friend, T, reminded me to put my shields up.  If you are a Star Trek fan, you'll get that reference immediately.  In practice, for me, it's setting an intention and focusing my energy on creating a shield around myself so that I don't take on other people's negative energy - other people's "stuff."  It's also a way for me to know that I can remain calm in any situation - my shields are up  :-)  It was a good plan. 

Nothing major went sideways, but there is a ton of negative energy surrounding Weight Watchers' shift from Beyond the Scale (it's former program) to Freestyle, the new program.  I get that.  I'm thrilled with Freestyle, but Beyond the Scale was the reason I left the WW program two years ago - I found it to be extremely restrictive and punitive.  Very much a "diet."  Change is nearly always hard, even when it's good change, but this particular change to Freestyle seems like exactly what I need.

Anyway - I digress.   :-D

If you've been following along at home, you know that I did sign up for WW about a week ago.  There aren't a lot of meetings that I can go to at my local center - the timing is poor - so I decided I'd go for an Online membership this time.  I found it confusing to not have booklets - all the stuff you get in the meeting room, so I asked a few questions online and was told I could definitely go to a meeting to get the orientation to the new program.  So I did, last Wednesday.  I was late to the meeting (poor timing), but there was a receptionist who was extremely kind and helped me with everything.  I sat down to hear the remainder of the orientation - which was the full meeting topic - and was reminded why I didn't always care for my local center.  It was a nightmare.  The people next to me carried on a side-conversation the entire time (I was like Really???).  I didn't say anything to them because it wasn't my meeting, although I did say something to the Kind Receptionist about it.  And the general tenor of the meeting itself was one of negativity and unhappiness at the change in the program.

On my way out, the Kind Receptionist gave me a schedule of meetings and suggested the Sunday morning meeting might work for me timewise if I changed my mind about online.

And after a few days of being online only, I did.  Change my mind.  I knew that I wanted to be back in a meeting room - I just needed to find the right fit.  And so, I went online to attempt to upgrade my online membership to a Monthly Pass.  I was denied!  But I figured that the meeting room could do this change for me.  So, on Sunday morning I toddled on over to that meeting.  Well, actually, I drove.  ;-D  I was hoping the meeting wouldn't be too crowded, and as I pulled in to the parking lot, there were not all that many cars!  Score!  And as I walked from my car, I thought to myself that wouldn't it be nice if that Kind Receptionist worked at this meeting?  Score!

She does!  There she was!  It's her regular meeting - she was only helping out on Wednesday evening.  I thanked her again for having been so kind to me last week and told her that as I was driving over I had hoped she would be a receptionist at this meeting - and she said that something had come up for her on her computer that made her think of me and that she'd hoped I would come to the Sunday meeting.  So that's the Universe validating me and my choices in a very big way.  Yay! 

The leader was excellent and the group was not huge.  Score!  Score!  These are both huge pluses for me.  In fact the leader spent a little more time with me after the orientation, which I really appreciated. 

I ended up having to buy a monthly pass there in the meeting room, and knew I would need to call to have WW cancel the Online membership on Monday morning.  So that's what I did.  It was a call that lasted an hour and 15 minutes. 

OMG

Had both the people I dealt with on the phone not been so kind, and had I not put my shields up on the way in to the city, my hair would have been standing on end.  Long story short: In order to keep my existing screen name/login both memberships had to be cancelled and a new Monthly Pass had to be purchased yesterday.  What an ordeal!  But all was well in the end, I remained calm, and I have what I need. 

Bonus:  At the end of November I decided to let my Fitbit premium membership expire.  I wasn't using it.  I decided to go to MyFitnessPal, so I ponied up the $50 bucks there - and the next week I heard about Freestyle and I knew that I needed and wanted to return to WW, rendering MyFitnessPal useless.  I figured it couldn't hurt to ask - so I emailed them yesterday and they refunded my $50 bucks.  Immediately!  Yay!! 

So, I'm on my way with the tools and support I wanted. 

I will continue to weigh myself on Thursday mornings, but the weight that WW tracks will be the one that happens in the meeting room on Sunday mornings. 

I'm trying to figure out how best to make a table in Blogger so I can track my progress here.  I'll let you know what I discover  :-)

I'll leave you with an oldie for this chilly Tuesday morning . . .


Comments

calicokitty6 said…
Congrats on finding a meeting that works for you. I had the same issue when I was going and never did find the one for me.

I've used this site for counters before and it's easy to navigate.

https://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/ticker_designer.php

Popular Posts