And Now it's New Year's Eve . . .

December is a busy time of year for everyone, I think.  I've been laid low with what Urgent Care thought was probably the flu, even though I didn't have a fever.  The chills and aches led them to treat me with Tamiflu and also a Z-Pac.  The side effects of these drugs are really the No-Fun Plan, but at least I'm vertical today, and I have tomorrow off, so I'm hopeful that I will have the energy to go back to work on Tuesday.

The Tamiflu causes nausea unless I take it with food, and the Z-Pac, being a pretty strong antibiotic gives me diarrhea.  TMI?  So it goes around this joint  ;-D

I'm going to attempt to recap everything that I think needs a recap as we close the books on this very difficult year.

Here's a tune to listen to while you read:


My Health

As they say (whoever they are), when humans make plans, God laughs.  Back on January 8, 2017 I blithely pronounced that after about two years of wonky health issues, that 2017 was going to be my year to take charge of my health and the size of my ass.

Ahem . . .

February's Kidney Stone Incident and my torn retina in March dominated 2017 for me.  I'm fine now (other than the flu), though, so that's great.  Again, if you want to know how to prevent kidney stones, catch up with Jill Harris.  She's made such a difference for me.  I still have a follow-up 24-hour Urine Collection that I need to do (that I should have done in October . . .).  It's going to have to wait a little longer until I'm off all these flu drugs.

So - 2017 was all about me, but not quite in the way I had hoped. 

The Size of My Ass

I still haven't figured out an easy way to make a table in blogger, so I don't have a chart to show, but I can tell you that Weight Watchers' Freestyle is working really, really well for me.  It took me all year to get through two emergency surgeries early on, but since I returned to WW on December 7th, I'm down 16.2 pounds.  Yay Me!  I'm not strictly ovo-pescetarian again after all for a variety of reasons - one of which is that I found out that eggs cause me severe intestinal distress (see above for the description of what happens to me when I have to take a Z-Pac . . . need I repeat?  I think not.).  I've clearly developed a sensitivity to eggs.

Tai Chi

I'm still studying it, and I'm also now studying Tai Chi Sword.  One thing I would like to do in 2018 is more of both of these forms.  It's time for me to build practice time in to my days rather than just relying on the time I get to spend in class learning from Sensei Joe.

Clearing my Space

I've done better with this this year.  It's not perfect, and, as usual, I still have a bag going for the Second Chance Shop, but I was able to continue to divest stuff throughout this year.

The House in General

Had to have a few repairs last month, but nothing major - just general maintenance.  There are a few things that I probably should look at getting accomplished in 2018 . . . I'm not keen on it, though, and unless something major occurs, things will likely wait for another year. The weather has been so brutal here since Christmas that I have not shoveled the driveway.  I've just continued to drive on it - which is never a very good plan, but it's just been too cold to get things going.  It's still too cold.  Once it gets back up into the teens on a semi-regular basis, I'll think about getting the snowblower fired up and clearing it.  For now, however, I'm staying in  :-D

Politics

If you check my post from February 4, 2017, you'll see that I am not in any danger of eating my hat.   I've been pretty much right on every single point I made back then.  Watching things go from bad to worse this year definitely played a role in my health - it has been exceptionally stressful for me, but I've been working a lot on getting my stress under control and have made good strides in this area - it's such a relief to be sleeping all night again (nearly every night).  Please remember how important the 2018 mid-term elections are.

Run/Walk the Year

I made it!!  Well, I made my half of it  :-)  My trainer and I split the miles, and I reached my 1,009 miles about a week and a half ago!  Yay ME!!  It's not something I will repeat in 2018, but the group I moderate on Ravelry will be virtually walking the Triple Crown of hiking in 2018.  We have a team of about 21 people, and all our miles will be pooled as we virtually walk first, the Appalachian Trail, then the Pacific Crest Trail, and finally the Continental Divide Trail. 

Travel

I managed a jaunt to Wisconsin Sheep & Wool this year, but I haven't done any real travel in too many years - looking to change that in 2018.  Not sure to where or when, but I need a change of scenery for a bit.

So that's the Field Report and the end of the year recap of what's been going on here - I am grateful for another year - and I'm grateful that this one is over.  Once again I say to you that 2018 is my year.  I've gotten a jump on it by going back to WW early this month.  The first week on any sort of weight loss program usually has a higher loss, but never would I have expected to lose more than 16 pounds in one month.  And I don't expect that that will continue, however, if it does, I'll gladly take it!

The timer just went off, which hopefully means that my dinner is ready, so I'll close now.

I wish you all a very Happy New Year - I'm so grateful that you are reading what I am writing.  Thank you very much.

:-)


Comments

Michelle said…
And a happy new year to you, my friend!
Anonymous said…
May the New Year be filled with good health and much happiness for you!

Janice H.
Kim said…
Happy New Year to you too

Popular Posts