Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I Made Yarn!

It's official - I made my first skein of yarn . . . and it looks like crap :-D

Unfortunately, I'm serious. What a complete learning experience spinning is. I know it will get better - I will get better - and I have been reassured that even horrid looking yarn can look pretty good knitted up. So, I will figure out something to make with it and move on. Here is my progress:

First - here are 5 of the 7 bobbins of wool singles that I spun (I was so proud of them!)

Second - here is the first skein, drying

Finally - here is a close up of the yarn

Ick-a-Roo! Don't you agree? At least it was pretty well-balanced. It just didn't loft at all when I washed it, and I thought it would. I think I might have spun the singles a little too thin for this type of yarn - but this is part of the learning. I mean, how else are you going to know how different yarns respond until you actually spin them? I followed what I read, in that I spun it all at once and now am plying it all at once. That's good advice - for experienced spinners. I think, had I known then how the first would turn out, I would have spun a smaller amount, plied it, set the twist and then regrouped. You know, they did that with my eyes - I had Lasik surgery a number of years ago when the procedure was relatively new (best money I ever spent, in case you're wondering). They did one eye first, and based the the second eye on how the first responded to the surgery.

Wish I would have thought of that before spinning the entire 1 - 3/4 pounds of Lincoln as thin as I could reasonably get it . . . like I said, I think the singles might have needed to be not quite so weeny - but again, I don't really know, so I'm taking this with me this weekend to the Fiber and Folk Fair. There will be a million spinners there - I'm sure someone will take pity on me and teach me what I might have done wrong and what I can do better the next time. :-)

The next will be better, and it won't be dark brown. I'm supremely tired of dark brown.



Natalie said...

Hi! I'm Natalie from the Lendrum list. Looking at your picture, it looks to me like you need more plying twist--just run the skein through the wheel again. I often have the problem of not putting enough twist in when I ply, so I feel your pain. I've taken to not using the slow head for plying and just use whatever head and ratio I used for the singles and that seems to help.

You may find this blog post by Abby Franquemont helpful: http://www.abbysyarns.com/wordpress/?p=113

A :-) said...

Natalie - thank you SO much for this link. I may try to run the second skein through again. The third one I've done as 3-ply, with significantly more plying twist after watching the video. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thank you!

A :-)