Black Friday . . .

So . . . um . . . everything at Land's End is 50% today.  I got a new winter coat for about $100 bucks.  I'm looking forward to getting it - since I broke the zipper on my old winter coat, I've been wearing my old dress coat, which is really old and not warm any longer. 

Monday evening on my way to take a friend to the airport, I walked out of the house to this.


Reminds me of a Maxfield Parrish painting, and since I am often unsuccessful in capturing the moon, I wanted to share it  :-)

Other things to share include a visit to my doctor on Tuesday. 

I haven't felt well for the last month or so.  Nothing specific, just not myself, and I was concerned that I might have developed high blood pressure.  For the majority of my life, my BP has been 110/70.  During The Kidney Stone Incident it spiked very high - about 185/90+.  In fact, I learned last night from my cousin who was with me, that had it not begun to go down when it did, that the ER staff were going to start me on a magnesium drip to forcibly take it down to avoid my having a stroke.  It's never gone all the way back down. 

Again, because I haven't been feeling well, I took it in the machine at the Jewel (grocery store) last Friday morning before I left for the African violet show.  It was 165/85.  I decided not to worry about it, knowing that I had an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday.

His nurse took it at the office and it was 165/90+ . . . However - I am very happy to report that I do NOT have high blood pressure - I just needed a bigger BP cuff.  I guess my arms are too fat for the machine to give an accurate reading.  It's weird.  My arms aren't fat . . . Anyway, the doc took it with the larger cuff.  He took it in both arms:  128/74.

So, it's up a little from my normal 110/70, but not by much, and still under the new guidelines.  So that was a relief.  As to what might have been causing me to not feel well . . .general consensus is lack of sleep due to stress.  Work is extremely stressful and has been so for most of this year, with many, many changes in personnel - people coming and going (many not by choice).  I don't think my employment is at risk ::: knocking wood ::: but I need to get a better handle on the stress I now deal with on a daily basis.

I need to start taking a lunch break and getting my steps up to 10,000 a day consistently.  The doc also ran labs - all of which were fine.  So, he has started me on something to help me sleep.  I'm not keen on this, but I cannot continue the disrupted sleep pattern that I've fallen into and I cannot seem to remedy it on my own.  So.  I have set the intention that I will be on this just long enough to allow my body to get back on a normal sleep cycle.  :-)

And now - time to do some work at my potting bench, and to get the rest of the Christmas decorations up  :-)


Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Annie,
Just catching up on your world this holiday weekend. Sorry to hear that work is being so stressful for you. Hopefully things will calm down some in the new year. [Cross your fingers!]
I'm curious as to how your violets did at the African Violet Show. Your violets are so lovely. I'm quite envious. I've moved my violets upstairs to a much warmer location and they seem to be enjoying their new home. :)
Also, I'm curious as to what you are doing to get in your 10,000 steps a day. My cardiologist wants me to walk that much, but I haven't been able to make that level yet. With the weather getting cooler, walking outside isn't much of an option.
Janice H.
Michelle said…
Even though this is my "non-acquisition year," I admit to shopping on Black Friday, too. I had to wait around in Salem while Brian played basketball at the school, so I went to Costco (necessities) and Old Navy and got three pairs of jeans. Now I need to go through my jeans drawer and get rid of all that I don't really wear for various reasons.

Are you getting regular exercise, A? That seems to be the best remedy for many things – sleep, depression, blood pressure, stress. I've finally accepted that my exercise of choice now has to be walking, as my knees no longer tolerate jogging, but I do get my steps in.

Hugs, friend!
A :-) said…
Janice! All will be revealed! :-)

Michelle - no, I'm not getting enough exercise - and congrats on the new jeans :-)

Popular Posts