Ugh . . .

My teeth hurt for about a week.  I believe this is a signal that I was attempting to fight off a cold of some sort.  There's definitely been a lot of sneezing and coughing going on, and the pain in my teeth disrupted my sleep off and on multiple nights this past week.  At one point it was difficult to wear my mouth guard.  Thursday I woke at 3 and just could not go back to sleep.  I went to the club, but my workout was lackluster, and I did not even stay to stretch.

I thought some time spent under the rainwater shower and a salt scrub might make me feel better.  They didn't.  My co-worker said, "Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't look so good."  I took a good look at myself in the mirror.  She was right.  So it goes.  I went to bed on Thursday night around 8 p.m. and that seemed to do the trick.  Yay!

I finished one book, and let another go.  I dropped off Panache Desai's book Discovering Your Soul Signature at the Little Free Library on Thursday.  It became increasingly difficult to read morning, noon, and night, and so, since this was my second attempt at it, I let it go.  The book I finished is called The Road Beyond Ruin.  It is another WWII story set in Germany after the war.  It was slow to start, but I got to a certain point and needed to see how it was going to end, so I finished it.

The next installment of the Sandhamn Murders series landed in my Kindle app, but I decided to wait a bit before jumping in. So instead I finished another book - it wasn't long.  The Puzzle of You, by Leah Mercer.  An interesting premise about a woman who, in an accident, lost the previous four years of her life, which included having had a child.  

Yesterday I spent the day out at Starved Rock State Park for the Illinois African Violet Society's fall meeting.  We had an exceptional speaker - Bj Ohme.  He is so, so interesting, and so, so knowledgeable.  It was a very small group, but those of us who were there got the benefit of Bj's knowledge.  I came home with a few leaves.  Of course.  :-D  But I did not come home with any additional jobs.  Saying "no" is really hard for me, but it is something I have had to do this year.  And even so, I'm still not taking the best care of myself that I should.  It seems that something is always in my way. 

It's been a busy Sunday here, Chez A.  I got a LOT of work done down on my potting bench.  There is always more to do, however.  But I did test all the plantlets from leaves I got at the national African violet convention earlier this year.  Unfortunately, one of the plants I purchased was infected with the INSV virus (Impatiens Necrotic Spot Virus), and I hadn't practiced good plant room hygiene, thus creating the possibility that all the rest of the leaves I worked on after the infected plant could have been infected, as well.  I tossed quite a few out of hand, but I kept about half because I knew exactly where they came from.  The test kits are not inexpensive, and it took me a couple of tries to get the hang of using them.  But I'm happy to report that everything tested negative.  Yay!!! 

Laundry is finishing up, and I'm going to watch an episode of something or other before crawling into bed.  Why do weekends go so quickly?!

One super exciting thing that I decided on this week is that next October (2020), I'm going to return to the Isle of Iona on retreat with Joan Anderson.  I can hardly wait!

I remember crying the first time I heard this song.  Tom Waits wrote it but I've always thought that Rod sang it best.  I never saw this video when the song was released.  It could be because I was living overseas at the time.  I know I heard it forever ago, but I think it was when I was already back in the U.S.A. - so I looked it up.  Sir Rod released it in 1992, but this video apparently wasn't released until a couple of weeks ago. I know it's about an alcohol-fueled night that Tom Waits had in Copenhagen, but the way Rod sings it - and the verses he leaves out, always made me think he sang it from a soldier's point of view.


Comments

Popular Posts