Moving Forward . . .

Today I took a bold step. I frogged a knitting project.

=======:-O <----- that's me, with my hair standing on end (more than it usually does).

I'm finding it kind of hard to believe, but it was the Feather and Fan scarf, which was nice, but I was knitting it on size 4 needles with very beautiful but very fine sock yarn. It was taking me for-fricking-ever to finish it. I'm sure that had I attempted this on the size 7 needles it called for, it would have probably gone like the wind and I wouldn't be writing this now . . . however, I didn't, and here I sit. ;-)

I finished the Spring Forward socks yesterday (just have to weave two ends in :-) ) and pulled this scarf as the next piece of train knitting. It's been sitting for months, in fact I forgot to put it on my original list over there on the sidebar! I decided last night that it would be next to be finished, and this morning, I hurriedly moved it over from long to short needles, stuffed it in my bag and ran for the train. Which I missed.

Missing the train is not horrible, because I can catch the local, which comes shortly thereafter, and when I do that, I often get to catch up with my friend, KniftyRed, which is always very nice. This morning we were talking and knitting with my other friend, L, and I got sidetracked and miscounted on the row counter. I thought I corrected it, but tonight, on the way home, I stopped and looked at the 2 or 3 inches I had done on the train and realized, much to my chagrin that I had clearly made a mistake on the row count and everything was completely bolloxed up. It was the last straw . . .

I slid the scarf off the needles and started ripping it out and winding it into a ball. I got most of it done (or should I say, undone?) before my stop, and although it was a bold move and a first (for me), it brought with it quite a sense of liberation. I managed to keep myself from running up and down the center aisle, trailing yellow yarn and hollering with glee, but I never thought I would feel so relieved to quit something. I usually finish what I start, even when it's painful. It was really a rite of passage for me to not finish this scarf. I didn't enjoy this pattern (probably because of the weeny needles and skinny yarn). It took too long and I was never happy when I was working on it.

I'm going back to my original choice - making socks. After all, it's sock yarn. I'll need to go down to size 1 needles, and cast on 72 stitches, I think, but I think socks was what it was meant for all along :-) What do you think?JWray01

Comments

Michelle said…
I think you did just the right thing and by doing so, just took a big step forward in personal growth. Woo hoo to YOU!
Kris said…
GET OUT OF TOWN!!! I'm so proud of you! Knitting should be fun and to be knitting something you don't like is torture.
Anonymous said…
knitting is suppose to be fun, not torture :-)

That yellow is gorgeous - can't wait to see it knit up!!!!
Linda said…
OMG, I can't believe you've NEVER frogged a project! So if you're hating something that you're knitting you just keep going????

I'm not a huge fan of yellow stuff usually, but that is pretty yarn and will make lovely socks.
Knitterary said…
I can't believe you've never frogged something. I've never gone a year without frogging something, and every now and then I have to dump a project in the garbage can just to teach it a lesson.

Good on ya for knowing when to repurpose the yarn!

Popular Posts