Home Again . . .

I've been traveling  :-)   I spent a week on Cape Cod with my Iona Sister, Tori, in retreat and relaxation.  It was a very good trip.

I feel strongly that I had been standing at the portal to the next phase/cycle in my life, and this week away helped me step through it - to continue to move forward.

The Cape in winter is very beautiful, and we were at a friend's cottage, so it was like home away from home.

My friend, Tori, and I are working through Brené Brown's book, The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are.  I may have mentioned this already. If you are looking for something to expand your knowledge of yourself along this path, I highly recommend it. 

I went to WW to weigh in on Wednesday (yes, really  :-D), and I'm happy to report that I was down .6.  I'm thrilled, because I was weighing at night, and copious amounts of alcohol were consumed last week, along with a substantial amount of shellfish.  I did get walking in most days, and I did the travel work out my trainer gave me 1.5 times.  I would have done it 2 times, but I didn't have quite enough padding for my knees to do both planks and pushups the second time. 

I've just finished writing to Southwest about my experience with Sam and being able to get on my flight the next day thanks to his help, and the laundry is going.  It's 7 a.m.    On this trip - the first of the new year, I did something I have been trying to do consistently for some time:  I built in a recovery day.  So, although it would have been awesome to stay another day with my Iona sister, Tori, I came home yesterday.

I came home to a driveway that had to be snow blown.  Before I left last week I had to snow blow the driveway TWICE, and came home and had to do it all over again.  Twice.  Why twice?  Because there was so much snow that I had to do a cleanup run to get it all  :-D

So it goes.  It was a long travel day - We headed for the Hartford airport around 11:30, in the midst of another snowstorm.  Snow has been following me!  We were slightly delayed, but I got to Midway and then took the Orange line downtown and caught the 5:38 train home.  My cousins picked me up from the train and drove me home, which was nice because R hauled my suitcase through the snow into the house.  They suggested I wait and do the driveway this morning - but I was dressed for it, and I could tell that the snow was still light and fluffy.  This is critical, because I don't have a two-stage snow blower, and if the snow is heavy and wet, it clogs up alot.  But the snow was light, so even having to do the cleanup run, I was done by 7:40.

One of the best parts of traveling, is coming home again.  Yes, even when you have to clear your driveway before you can do anything else.  :-)

p.s.  I read FOUR books on vacation!!  I went to the local yarn store and I didn't buy any yarn.  In fact, I hardly knit at all on this trip.  Interesting . . .

Comments

Michelle said…
I've missed you! Had to visit your blog to remind myself you were on vacation so I didn't worry. Sounds like it was just what the doctor ordered (well, except for the alcohol...), and bully for you for remembering to schedule a recovery day.
Sounds like a wonderful trip. I love having a recovery day after a trip and always plan for one.
A :-) said…
Michelle - mostly just wine with dinner and some port after :-) Gone are the days of falling off the barstool at Butch McGuire's (I only did that once - and it was my birthday - I was over-served ;-D)

Krysten - it was, indeed, a wonderful trip :-)

Popular Posts