Happy New Year 2016 . . .

It's 2016.  How can that be?  I guess the old chestnut that the years go faster the older you get is very true.  It seems that it was just January 2015, and here we are with a year gone by.

Yesterday was a wild YOSS day, but the Rock Around the Sock thread was locked and the year-long challenge starts today.  We have an amazing team of 101 knitters from all over the world, busting the stash with us!  I hope to have lots of knitting to share with you in 2016.

I've returned to a modified form of The Strict Program for Three Months.  I'm tracking on Fitbit.  Once I made the decision to do this, it was like a weight flew off my shoulders.  I'm not strictly ovo-pescetarian again, but the SPTM is the basis and after spending the past few weeks failing daily with Weight Watchers' SmartPoints,  it feels pretty fricking awesome to be succeeding and to be feeling like I can move forward again - that I can eat out again - that I can travel again without constant focus on what I was needing to avoid.

Very early this morning all the episodes of my podcast All About African Violets were removed from the website.  As my friend Tammy reminded me, they have to all be completely deleted from the backend to avoid incurring another hefty annual fee for server space, but I timed it well so that I have enough time to archive all the text and questions in case I ever need them.  I'm still pondering how to truly move forward from the podcast - there are a number of options I've been noodling with.  But for now the episodes were taken offline at the end of 2015.  They say that the hardest part of any journey is taking that first step.  Believe me, taking the podcast offline was a major first step.  I confess to feeling a little bereft.  I often wonder why the things we know to be best of us are sometimes the most difficult.

As I look back on 2015 I can see a lot of stuff that didn't quite transpire as I might have hoped . . .
  • I didn't start my piping up again as planned
  • The Mason Jar Money Method did not pan out (mainly because I kept forgetting to put the money in the jar  :-D )
  • Still did not get back to my Weight Watchers goal weight.
  • Still not the greatest vegetable eater. 
  • Still not the perfect budgeter. 
  • The new Weight Watchers' SmartPoints turned out to not be sustainable for me
  • I pissed off a few people when I said "enough."
 On the other hand . . .
  • I pissed off a few people when I said "enough." (Yay Me!)
  • I'm taking better care of myself again (way better  :-) )
  • My asthma is extremely well-managed again (I'm seriously rocking it)
  • I moderate an awesome group on Ravelry with two great friends
  • I successfully produced an internationally well-loved podcast
  • And I knew when to say goodby to said podcast (tough one, that . . .)
  • I survived major construction in my home
  • I survived a bad car accident
  • I healed from that accident 
  • I learned to manage the lingering PTSD from that accident
  • I cleared a LOT of WIPs from the Big List
  • I don't need to be the perfect budgeter - I'm pretty damn good at it
  • And you know what?  I'm still standing (true survivor, here)
If you never fail, it means you never tried.  My successes are the result of my failures and I have been given another day to move forward - every day that I wake up is a gift, and I am reminded to open my hands and let go of what no longer serves me. :-)

And I certainly have my work cut out for me today - the sunroom, which had remained an oasis of calm since construction ended in May still has a wicked Christmas hangover.  It looks like this:


But the Amaryllis looks like this:





And Zugspitze and some Opal yarn await as my first YOSS project of the year!


But first - some Yoga for the Rest of Us (my practice starts now :-) ) and some breakfast.

2016 Start Your Engines!

That's right, Baby - I'm still standing  . . .


Happy New Year, Everyone!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Alva Edison

It's a new year with new beginnings. What didn't work yesterday only motivates us to try something different today.

Happy New Year, Annie!

Janice H.
Michelle said…
Great, inspiring, realistic post, my friend!

Popular Posts