I'm There . . .

How do you get to the place where you are ready to let go? I'm not really sure, I just know I'm there.

Lest you think I have been slacking around here - here's my dining room table. Full of stuff that's going to go. I've gone through the top half of the built-in china cabinet and assorted cupboards and shelves in the kitchen. Can anyone tell me why I thought I needed SIXTEEN of those bigass glasses??? They are beautiful, but I discovered that if you fill them too full and are not very careful when drinking, you will be wearing your alcohol/pop/water/whatever rather than drinking it . . . yeah, not so good. Still, they are beautiful and I did buy them at Marshall Field's, so it pains me some to let them go. I kept four - one in each color :-)

I've been doing what I can each evening. It's been slower going, but going it is. I've asked some of my cousins to come over and see if they would like any of this stuff - some of it was my mom's . . . and so next week they will be stopping by if they have an interest.

Like I said I don't quite know how I got here, but here I am.


I have a pretty substantial collection of American Art Pottery, most particularly, Hull. It started with two pieces that were my grandmother's and built from there . . .

I will keep some of these pieces, but I talked to an auction house today. Most of it's going to go (oh - this isn't all of it - this is just the stuff that's in the big china hutch.

So much stuff . . . it's time to let someone else enjoy it. I've enjoyed it all for a long time, and now, I'm at the place of letting go.

It sure is beautiful, isn't it?

Comments

Michelle said…
It is odd to read about this place, so I guess I'm not there yet -- the letting go of family "heirlooms" and keepsakes. I have never really collected anything but Breyer model horses, and still have those packed away in a box somewhere. Made the mistake of selling a few over 20 years ago, only to discover that I'd sold them for retail when they were collectibles. Still get a sick feeling in my stomach over that....
candy said…
I'm not there, either, not for the special things. Now, all the stuff my daughter left behind when she moved to Australia is a different story. Some of it isn't allowed through customs (wood, fur, stuffed animals) and some is just stuff. However I can see the point of sharing an exceptionally large collection and keeping the most meaningful pieces.
Linda M said…
The Hull pottery is truly beautiful - but thinning the collection down to your favorite pieces will enable you to appreciate the few special ones, like the ones from your grandmother, even more than seeing the mass of objects. I sold off my entire collection of Royal Ruby glassware before my last move and saying goodbye to that stuff was a very happy experience for me. I commend you for sticking to your project!
Bethany said…
I really want to hear more about how one sells their collectibles. Like the Ruby glass. Keep us posted on how it works with the auction situation sweetie. I have a lot of Depression glass that I should think about selling myself.

Popular Posts