And While We Are Dreaming . . .

Time is not linear.  Dr. Who would say, it's "wibbly wobbly timey wimey." :-)  Mostly, though, I experience it as a spiral where I make renewed acquaintance of challenges I thought I had already met and conquered earlier on.  In the spiral of time these challenges just appear in a different place and time in my life and I am asked to reexamine them again.

I mean, you work through something and you think, "Great!  Thank God that's done." or "Whew! I'm through that now."  And then it comes around again at a different age or in a slightly different form and Gibbs slaps you, and you have to re-examine it and work through it again.  And you think, "Really???  Didn't I already DO this???"  But being in a different time and place in your life makes it new in a way you could not have imagined the last time it rolled around.  You find there's more work to do.

On my bulletin board - where I keep important stuff - is this:


You can click to biggify - but here's what it says:  "She packed up her potential and all she had learned, grabbed a Cute pair of shoes and headed out to change a few things."  and  "Her heart glowed with a degree of happy assurance."  On the bag, the tag says:  "To: The World," and the word "pluck" is in the middle.  A friend gave this to me because she said it reminded her of me.  :-)  I like to think that's true - that I pack what I've learned and have it with me at all times so that when time spirals a challenge around again, I'm ready -  Cute shoes in hand  :-)

There are a lot of quotes about time.
  • The bad news is time flies.  The good news is that you're the pilot.
  • The way we spend our time defines who we are.
  • The trouble is, you think you have time (Buddha)
  • Time heals what reason cannot.
  • Time doesn't stop and wait for anyone.  Move on!
  • Tempus fugit (that's Latin, for "time flies")
I could go on.

Mostly, I think that life is short and that we are meant to live it, not watch it pass us by.  We have a finite amount of time here, and I find that it moves must more quickly once you are of a certain age.

Tempus fugit, indeed . . .

Don't waste it, A.  Don't waste it . . .

This is one of my all-time favorite Jimmy Webb songs.  I didn't know that it was written with Ray Bradbury for musical called Dandelion Wine.  It's about time . . .


Comments

Popular Posts