Good Sunscreen and a Hat . . .

Well, it looks like two posts today - I forgot to click "publish" last night on Tuesday's post :-D

I am really looking forward to the 4-day weekend here.  I have a lot of things I'd like to do!

The violets need some potting attention, and I need some serious downtime.

Now that my collection of African violets is at 35 varieties, everything is much more manageable than when I had 50, so the thought of spending some time down at my potting bench is not daunting any longer.

I have bags to take to the Second Chance shop to donate so will do that on Saturday,

My office looks no better than it did when I posted about it a couple of weeks ago . . . so there's always something to accomplish in there  :-D

And, I am looking forward to some serious downtime for myself.

I don't have plans for Thanksgiving, although I will probably go over to one of my cousins' homes at some point that day.  But if I don't, I will make a good dinner - probably fish since although I can eat chicken again, I still pretty much avoid turkey.

Yesterday I went to the dermatologist for a body check.  I am very, very careful about my skin because I am so fair.  According to the doc, people as fair as I (and he!) have a 30% higher chance of getting skin cancer.  Good sunscreen and a hat.  My mom drummed it in to me.  She was even more fair than I am.  I did have one very bad blistering sunburn - over most of my body back in high school when we were all trying to get tan (never mind that I was never going to get tan - I did try . . . ).  I had to spend the rest of the summer in long pants and long-sleeved shirts because just walking outside in the sunlight was painful. I stayed inside a lot  :-D   It was a very bad burn and I was very lucky - particularly lucky that my face didn't scar. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on that, though.  It only takes one really bad sunburn to cause problems later in life.  So far I have escaped them.  I'm crossing my fingers  :-)

I have the most sun damage on my arms - a farmer tan that's not tan  :-D  There is some sun damage on my chest, too, but not too much.  And really, I'm mostly just freckled up a bit, even on my face.

The doc recommends that I use a daily sunscreen with a 30-50 SPF.  I have a 30 that I use in the summer for every day, but the Clinique one I like for winter wear only has 20 SPF, so I got some new stuff from the doc.  It's from a line called Revision.  I hope I like it - the comments are pretty good about it.  It has 50 SPF.  If I like it, it appears that I can get it on Amazon for a little bit less than what I paid, so that's a bonus  :-)

I've always taken good care of my skin, probably because I worked in live theatre throughout my 20s, 30s, and 40s.  I was always the the last out out of the dressing room after a show - I was taking my makeup off and being sure that my face was clean, toned, and moisturized.  I do use some retinoid cream now.  Pretty much everyone should, according to the doc.  He also advised that the stuff you can get over the counter isn't strong enough to make any difference, so if you want to use something like this, you need to get it from a dermatologist, or get a prescription - but it's not covered by insurance, so in my experience it's cheaper to get it from the doc.

He looked at a wonky spot on my face that has looked shiny to me ever since the accident last November.  At the point of impact I had turned my head and the side curtain airbag deployed across the right side of my head and face, burning (like a rug burn) and scraping my right ear and the right side of my face, and giving me a black eye and scratched cornea.  He said that as the abrasions healed on my face that the scar tissue in that area healed white, which is why it appears shiny to me.  There's nothing wrong, which is good, and I cover it easily with some concealer and the light base that I use.

I don't have to go back for two years!

So, take my mom's advice to heart:  Good sunscreen and a hat.  :-)

Comments

Linda said…
I've been using Kiehl's products on my face for a while. This is the cream I was using daily on my face http://www.kiehls.com/powerful-wrinkle-reducing-cream-spf-30/694.html?dwvar_694_size=1.7%20fl.%20oz. At my last trip to the Kiehl's store, I picked up their SPF 50 sunscreen for my face and will use it plus their Ultra Facial Cream, which feels amazing on my face. http://www.kiehls.com/powerful-wrinkle-reducing-cream-spf-30/694.html?dwvar_694_size=1.7%20fl.%20oz. I usually hate the feeling of sunscreen or most moisturizers with sunscreen on my face, but also don't want to get skin damage. Such a conundrum.
Hi there A, we're glad to hear that your doctor recommended Revision Skincare products for you! We have two different SPF products. One thing to note, Amazon is not an authorized seller for Revision Skincare products, thus we can not verify the authenticity of the products they have.
A :-) said…
Hey Revision! Thanks for stopping by and for the tip about Amazon.

Popular Posts