Now What . . .

I am still feeling quite disoriented.  It's 2000 all over again.  Hillary Clinton is the fifth candidate in our history to win the popular vote but fall short in the electoral college

It is what it is, however.  And in my heart I still believe that everything happens for a reason - I haven't got a clue what the reason is for this one, but there must be one.  God, if you're listening, any time now would be good . . .

And I've been thinking, "Now what?"  a lot.  I've been insulted, and saddened, and I've read so many vituperative comments and responses on Facebook (from people I know) that my spirit needs a rest (and I might need to further curate my feed there).  Still, I looked for the positive (it's how I'm wired, apparently :-) ), and I found some.

This post from John Buchanan, one of the great Presbyterian ministers of our times and pastor emeritus at my former church. It definitely gave me some comfort yesterday.
And/or maybe you would like to read Anne Lamott's Facebook post.

And/or maybe think on the words of Julian of Norwich:

All shall be well,
And all shall be well, 
And all manner of thing shall be well

And it will.  Someday.  Somehow.  We don't run away. We take a few days and we lick our wounds.  And then we get back up and STAND UP and fight for what we know in our hearts is right.  We are Americans.  It's what we do.

But what can one person do?

Plenty.



This beautiful painting was done for me by the daughter of a very dear friend.  I took it down from where it usually hangs to attempt to get a good photo of it for you.  She asked me what my favorite quote was - this was the result  :-)  Here is what it says:

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world,
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.   
— Margaret Mead

Now what? 

Now we find a way to make a difference in our own communities, to pay it forward, because just as surely as trickledown economics don't work, love does


Write your elected representatives and tell them your concerns about affordable care, and gun violence, and women's rights to choose, and LGBT rights, and Medicare, and Social Security - whatever it is that you want them to work on.  YOU elected them, they represent YOU.

Your Senators

Your Representatives

Where can you make a difference locally?  Here are some that I found a little closer to home with a quick web search.  You can find plenty of ways to make a difference.

You can volunteer somewhere. 
Your kids can make a difference.
Is there a food pantry near you where you can donate?
Is there a second chance/resale shop where you can donate items? The Salvation Army Family Stores and Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
You can Make changes in your world to reduce your carbon footprint.

Now what?  That's up to us . . .

I am thankful for this new day.

Comments

Popular Posts