The Sunday Wrap-Up . . .

Well, the world has not ended yet, but it's more and more clear to me that our president-elect has absolutely no idea what he's doing - and worse, is stacking the deck with advisors and cabinet members who would appear to happily take us all back to the 1950's.

I cannot even tell you how sad this makes me.  His hate-filled rhetoric during the campaign has unleashed and legitimized some really dark stuff.  Hate crimes are increasing dramatically throughout the U.S., and last Saturday on my drive home from errands, two cars ahead of me on 159th Street was an SUV proudly flying a full-size Confederate flag.  I thought I would be sick.

If you're reading from another country, the Confederate flag is deeply hated symbol rooted in the slavery and racism that fueled the US Civil War.  It is often used by white supremacists (often called neo-nazis and the alt-right) as a symbol of their organizations.  That the president-elect has invited one of the major voices of the alt-right movement to become a trusted advisor - that he's opened the door and ushered in to the White House such a voice of hate is horrifying to me - I find it wrong on so many levels.

I am encouraged, however, by so many standing up.  Probably most visibly, the Broadway cast of Hamilton as they politely and with care, asked to be heard and took their opportunity to speak openly to the VP-elect after the show.


I continue to remind myself that the president-elect did not win the popular vote.  Even more importantly, half the country did NOT vote for him.  Nearly half of those persons eligible to vote didn't bother (that's a whole other issue).  That means that it's not half of the country - it's more like only a quarter of the country.  But still . . .

And I continue to wear a safety pin daily on my coat and on whatever top I happen to wear on any given day.  A small gesture I guess, but if it gives one person someone safe to sit next to on the train, that's really all that matters.

I am thankful for my warm home.

Comments

Michelle said…
I heard what Trump said about the Hamilton cast. They were "rude"??? Is that calling the kettle black or what?
A :-) said…
No kidding. They were respectful and loving and clear.

Popular Posts