Day 4 - 30-Day Declutter Challenge . . .

The suggestions for today are: 

  • Clean out spice drawer
  • Front Entry Coat Closet:  Donate any items no longer in use, find storage solutions

OK.  I mean, seriously.  Who has a spice drawer??  I have a cabinet and it seems quite full . . . so I put on some Christmas tunes and got started.  There are a lot of spices in here . . .  And in the basket below the cabinet!

I got everything out and looked it all over.  And then I wiped out the cabinet and the door, and set about putting things back in.

I know it doesn't look all that different, but I moved all the "sweet" spices that had formerly been on the top shelf over to the door.  Now the top shelf has spices that don't get used much.  The middle has spices that get used regularly, and the bottom has spices that get used nearly all the time.  I did discover that I had a lot of dill weed, and Herbes de Provence  :-D 

When I was done, the stuff in the photo below didn't make the cut to return to the cupboard.  Center top, spices that either have salt or sugar in them.  None have been opened.  I'm going to see about taking them to a food pantry if I can.  On the right,  two empty jars.  I was able to consolidate here.  The jars are glass so I'm recycling them, but I'm washing and keeping the lids because I've found that if you happen to drop a spice bottle they break before the glass does.  It's good to have these on-hand.

Bottom on the left.  OK.  The black pepper and the Colman's hot mustard were my mom's.  I don't use either of them, and she has been dead for 16 1/2 years . . . There's a jar of Winter Spice that's never been opened and had a best by date in 2017 . . . There's a jar of turmeric that I was going to use until I found out that it's very high in oxalate which is not good for my cranky kidney.  All of these went to their Great Reward.  

Bottom center/right:  then, some things that really didn't belong in the spice cupboard to begin with:  toothpicks, elbow straws, and maple syrup.  The first two now live above the fridge, and the syrup is in a food cupboard.

All in all this was a pretty quick task.  

On to the front hall closet . . .  This closet definitely needed some attention.  It's the only closet in the  house that I didn't have California Closets do and in some ways I regret that.  It's a simple shelf and pole and I have a crap-ton of stuff in it.  I mean, it was starting to resemble Fibber McGee's closet.  For those of you who don't know who Fibber McGee was . . . 

I did go through some some things in this closet - again, not all that long ago.  But there are a number of coats that do not fit me that I am always thinking will fit me again.  Someday.  Well, that day has not yet come, and seriously - how many coats does one human actually need??  In talking it over with my bestie this morning, she said, "Would you feel better about it if there was a coat drive you could donate to so someone who doesn't have a coat would get one?"  She is always so clever . . .  Of course that feels better.  If you're reading this, Thanks, T!

So, a quick Internet search revealed that the Chicago Bears (Go Bears!) have an annual coat drive and they have partnered with the Salvation Army and will be collecting at specific Jewel stores (a large local grocer) throughout the Chicagoland area.  Because of the pandemic, they've gone to specific stores on specific dates, and all collections will be outside for a specified 4-hour period, mostly on Saturdays, from now through February.  The designated store closest to me will be having its coat drive on Saturday, December 22nd from 2-6 p.m.  Good.  That was sorted and it was time to get to work.  

Like in my bedroom, I couldn't get an angle where you could see it all.  So - here's the top right. That's my spinning wheel on the far right.  It lives here when not in use.

Top left.

Bottom right.  There's a box of furnace filters there and my stash of USPS mailing supplies, as well as two leaves for the dining room table, which are leaning up against the wall, hidden behind my wheel.

And bottom left.  That big black thing is wheelie cart for all the accoutrements for my circular sock machine.  There are two stacking boxes on top of the main large tub with the wheels on it.  This is great for crank-ins, but not great when you're trying to figure out a place to store it.  It sat in my kitchen for a year before I figured out it would fit in this closet  :-D 


Here are the after shots!

Top Right.  I sorted through hats and scarves from those wire baskets and the hat box that used to be on the top left is now just visible to the right of them. Interestingly, plenty of the knits/hats/scarves/cowls could go.  I'm apparently particular about what I really like and I just use the same things over and over again.  And while the pole on this end wasn't all that crowded initially,  you can see that I definitely made a dent in what was in there. 

Here's the top left.  I sorted out all the games in the last go-round with this closet, and these were the ones I knew I wanted to keep, so no change there.  I divested two straw hats from the stack and kept the one and the rain hat underneath it, which is actually Edwardian looking and I got it in Scotland.  That it actually fits my melon head is a pretty big deal  :-D  And, as you'll see in another photo, I have used this closet for some cleaning product storage.  I apparently thought there might be a run on Tide and Downy at the beginning of the pandemic . . .  And yeah, there's not much left on this side of the closet at all.  I did fold up some long shawls and they are on hangers on the far left.  The other two items are fleecies.  One's a vest and the other a pullover.  Both from Land's End. 

Here's the bottom right now.  The box of furnace filters went to the basement, and those are the leaves to the dining table there against the wall.  The post office supplies are still there.  It's their home  :-D 

Here's the bottom left.  A better view of the wheelie cart, and the Tide and some liquid hand soap in that box behind it. 

All in all, another bag of miscellaneous stuff for the Second Chance Shop came out of that closet, as well as a few more hangers.  I had stuff like snow pants and aprons, and assorted tote bags that I never used and decided could go.

And, at the end of the day, these are all the coats going to the coat drive.  There are five of them!  And there are cowls, scarves, and hats, as well as I think one pair of mittens that I hope to donate as well.  Someone will be very, very happy with the raincoat with a fur lining.  It was a great coat, but I can count on one hand the number of times I actually wore it.  My main winter coat wasn't hanging in the closet - it's on hook by the front door, where I also keep my sweatshirt, a couple of hats and scarves, and my trekking poles.

This was another satisfying decluttering day.  I'm hanging in so far and having individual, specific tasks seems to be helping me focus.  4 down, 26 to go! Tomorrow one of the choices is about the refrigerator.  Mine really, really needs a good clean out, so it's timely. 

Here's a look at the amaryllis today.  I know it's going to start sprouting soon!!

This is another older CD.  I think from around 2004.  The video is the entire CD, and it's all instrumental so you can just put it on as background music and enjoy it if you like.  It's another favorite of mine, and the version of Come Thou Long Expected Jesus is my very favorite (the Hyfrydol version (Hyfrydol is a Welsh hymn tune)).  



Comments

Michelle said…
I did just that – put it on as background music while we ate supper and afterwards. Lovely!
Retired Knitter said…
Wow, your "after" shots were impressive!! I have 2 shelves of spices myself, not as many as you. You have a lovely set up for housing those spices.
A :-) said…
Michelle, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's one of my favorites!

Elaine - when my late mom and I bought this house and I realizes there was a spice cupboard, I was so excited :-D :-D I'm hooked on Penzey's spices - they have a lot of salt-free blends - you can see a lot of them on the bottom shelf!
A :-) said…
Penzey's rocks!!

Popular Posts