Day 12 - 30-Day Declutter Challenge . . .

This morning I got up, took a shower, washed my hair, and even put on some perfume.  I was trying to recreate what used to be a normal morning for me, I guess . . .  And I have to say that my hair is curly.  It hasn't been curly since I was in Junior High School.  And there seems to be more of it.  I guess decades of "encouraging" it did more damage that I might have thought . . .  And then, after I was clean and stinking pretty (as one of my cousins used to say  :-D), I opened up the wrong post, and did tomorrow's decluttering today.  So - I'm just going to switch them around. 

The suggestions for tomorrow that I did today are:

  • Purge bathroom cabinets
  • Hair Clips & Jewelry:  Go through all objects, get rid of any you no longer use.

Well, the bathroom stuff got done yesterday, and I don't have a lot of hair stuff because for decades I haven't had a lot of hair.  I have more now, as mentioned, and it's only been cut once since February.  So I have two sets of hair combs and one clippy that I found yesterday in the makeup basket.  I'm keeping everything  :-D  

Jewelry it is.  Most of it is in the top of the lingerie chest, which opens up. 

But there is more, in bags in other drawers.  I got what I thought was everything out.  That pile came from the right side of the lingerie chest!  The small cedar box is a relic from another time.  Back when I was still in high school, every graduating senior girl got a miniature Lane cedar chest.  That's mine.  I've had it all these years.  It was part of Lane's Girl Graduate program.  Mine came from Bruno Appliance and Furniture which must have been on the north side of Chicago, near the suburb where I lived and went to high school.  I remember we were supposed to return to the store that gifted them to buy our full size cedar chest when we got married . . .  well that never happened  :-D  I did get married - more than once, and I've had two different Lane cedar chests, but I've always kept this little box.  At the moment it's filled with enameled hat pins that I used to have on a jean jacket.  And yes, I kept all of them  :-D

I settled down with this mess and then I realized that there was another bag in another drawer of "good" jewelry.  I went through it and kept it.  All of it.  ;-)

Oh - and I have this cool earring stand that I got in Santa Barbara a million years ago.  My mom admired it but didn't get one at the same time, and then pretty much insisted that I give her mine because, you know, I could back and get another one (I was living in SoCal at the time).  I never did, but when she passed, I reclaimed my original one. Interestingly - my pierced ears closed up so I rarely wear any earrings anymore.  But I would really like to get them re-pierced.  Here are the before/after shots of the stand. I was able to divest a few things, and sharp eyes will see a pair that I added that had been in my jewelry box  :-D

Here is the after of the lingerie chest.  Pretty big difference.  The jewelry box was my mom's.  I picked one up in Florence that was similar to this one, but it wasn't a good one and the top piece of leather just came right off after not very long!  So, after my mom passed, I kept hers. It's not in the best of shape anymore, but I like it and it holds a lot.  And it's held up for probably close to 70 years. 

Here are the costume pieces that I divested. They are going to the Second Chance Shop.

Here's today's amaryllis shot!

And guess what?  We'll be going to two because my cousin, ME just brought me over another one!  This one does not need to be watered.  I've never heard of that before!  I think this one is red, too, but might be a double blossom.  It's already got a good start.  She warned me not to water it  :-D  It's in the same window as the other one, just down on the sub-woofer of my television's soundbar.

I was just talking with a friend who is a Nurse Practitioner in a hospital setting.  She said it's unreal and they are out of beds and nurses.  Fucking COVID.  Excuse me while I boss you around, but please, if you have not been wearing a mask, you need to start.  Every time you leave the house.  And you need to stay in your small pod of family.  No going back and forth to others.  Recent data shows that these small gatherings are part of what's spreading the virus.  We have to help each other and the best way for us to do that at the moment is to wear a mask.  And I think if you can make a donation to a food pantry, that would be good, too.  A lot of people need help with food.

I love this song . . . 










Comments

Popular Posts