Day 5 - 30-Day Declutter Challenge . . .

The decluttering suggestions for today are:

  • Clean out the fridge
  • Purse & Bookbags:  Empty out all trash, remove items you don't use regularly

I went for the easy one first - my backpack.  Since I'm no longer working, it doesn't have as much crap in it as it used to.  A bag of masks.  A bag of gloves.  Hand sanitizer.  WetOnes.  This is certainly a backpack for 2020, huh? 

 

Most everything stayed, and any papers were tossed or filed or marked for shredding.  It's mostly the usual flotsam and jetsam - my wallet, a cosmetic bag, my asthma inhaler - as well as some detritus that got tossed right away (used gloves anyone?).  I didn't need to keep the big pack of WetOnes - I have individual ones in this pink/white zippered bag that is actually a case for lipsticks, but it fits the single-size WetOnes perfectly!  :-D 

So this project was done quickly while I was making breakfast!  Easy peasy!  (Lemon Squeezy  :-D)

I dragged myself out of chair and headed back into the kitchen after breakfast to get going on the refrigerator . . . 

Oh.  My.  God.  I have been telling myself for months that the fridge needs a good clean out and clean up.  I feel like Niecy Nash on her old show Clean House where she used to say "show me your foolishness."  Well, I'm about to show you mine.  My foolishness, that is.

It was a complete mess and very grubby, as well.  I pulled everything out and started washing the shelves and drawers. 

I have no idea why I had FOUR jars/bottles of mustard.  Seriously. And they were all gourmet.  I don't even like gourmet mustard.  I'm a plain old yellow mustard gal all the way and I don't even have any  :-D  I know mustard doesn't really spoil, but in the spirit of this challenge, everything in bottles here was well past it's best by date - most by more than a year.  That salsa in the back is new.  But guess what?  I apparently don't like chipotle flavored salsa.  My favorite salsa has disappeared from the shelves (Traverse Bay Cherry - I guess I'm going to have to start buying it direct from the company), and I've been trying different salsas to see if I can find anything I like as much.  So far, no success. 

Anyway - I tossed it all and took the trash bag out to the bin immediately.  I was quite amazed to see how much space I really have.  Of course, I also have a bottle of bagpipe bag seasoning in there (third door shelf, on the left) along with three rolls of film and I don't even have a film camera any longer.  I had to put it back in there - I don't know what else to do with it at the moment  :-D 

I know that I keep saying that having just the specific decluttering tasks to do seems to be helping me keep focus, but it really does.  Today I also cleaned up the groady bottom cupboard doors.  They have decorative grooves on them and man do those get icky.  That probably took longer than cleaning the fridge!  But it's done and I'm glad.  

A teeny weeny bit of movement from the amaryllis!!!  Right there in front, at the top.  Click to biggify and you'll see what I hope is going to be the first of the straplike leaves starting to move up.  Brown on the tip, but definitely more green than anything else around it.

I know I'm usually old school where most music is concerned, but this brand new release from Meghan Trainor features Earth, Wind & Fire, and you just gotta dance when you hear it! 

(And don't you want a bow now?  :-D )

Comments

Linda M. said…
I'm loving your projects and your daily successes. This breaking down 'cleaning and organizing the entire house' to individual tasks to be done according to the calendar is really a good idea - I may try it over winter break (university is closed for two weeks) because I won't have house guests this year - thank you Covid ;-(

Regarding your amaryllis. In my experience, the bud stalk comes up first and the leaves will follow. You should be able to tell in another few days if you look closely. Do you know what color it is supposed to be?
Retired Knitter said…
I understand completely about icky refrigerators. Mine is on my list of to-dos. BuT OH MY GOD what a difference. Amazing.
E said…
Loved the music selection today!
A :-) said…
Linda - Thank you!! It really has been a focused way to proceed and I'm liking it a lot. The amaryllis will be red. I've grown many over the years - they usually start going quickly. I'm wondering if it got a little too cold during shipping. I got it right inside and used warm water to moisten the potting mix it came with. It's in a south window. It will start soon :-)

Oh Elaine - it was gross behind the bins :-D :-D And thank you - I have a lot more space than I realized! I know the freezer is on the calendar, but I'm not sure I'm going to choose that task - my freezer is so full . . . but maybe I can rotate things to the front/top and start using them up.

E - Me too! EW&F is one of my all-time favorite bands and we don't see/hear enough of them since Maurice White passed.

Popular Posts