Days 28 and 29 - 30-Day Declutter Challenge . . .

After pounding through my stash for the past couple of days I was actually ready for a break.  I enjoyed it so much I forgot to finish this blog post  :-D   The suggestions for yesterday were:

  • Organize Cleaning Supplies
  • Kids Dressers: Clear off the top, re-organize and sort through what's needed.

Cleaning supplies got done a couple of weeks ago, and I've already done what passes for my own dresser.  

I mostly worked on a puzzle and on the Project Peace shawl, on which I only have about 13 more rows and then the bindoff.  Of course it's getting upwards of 460 stitches, so it takes awhile to get through each row.  Thankfully the edge is Old Shale/Feather and Fan pattern and there are only three more patterned rows.  The rest is plain knit or purl.   Here is the puzzle I was working on.

You see those little bits up in the top left-hand corner?  They are little pieces that broke off!  This was a very challenging puzzle.  It's wooden.  A friend got me three of these for Christmas.  They are seriously challenging because most of the pieces don't actually link together!  And some are so delicate that tiny pieces of them broke off.  If you biggify the photo you will be able to see where there are a few holes in the puzzle.  I was gifted the small sizes of the Lion, the Fox, and the Chameleon.  The brand is Unidragon. I'm sort of thinking that the ones I have are knockoffs, because the size was smaller than what they show on their website.  Anyway, it was a challenge and I enjoyed it!

I got the ornaments off the tree yesterday.  Somehow it seems like it's time to be putting things away.  Probably because I put everything up the first week in October  :-D  

Also, here are the two "marriages" of yarn/pattern that I have so far:

This is my handspun, and although some of it is a little thicker, I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get a Baa-ble Hat out of it that might actually fit my head.  The yarn is from a Rare British Breeds sampler that I started spinning up last year (but actually had for probably a decade . . . there are still a few breeds left in the bag  :-D ).  L-R, Shetland - Brown, Masham Blend, Black Welsh, and Shetland - White.

I've had this pattern for at least a decade, and the yarn for it for close to that long.  It's called the Crossing Over Scarf. I saw it knitted up at The Fold, which is where I got the pattern.  These were the yarns that were used in the sample and I really liked them together.  I don't have the optional beads.  At least I don't think I do.  I'll have to check before I get started.

There are a few more skeins needing a pattern.  For two of them I'm leaning toward another Melanie Rice shawl.  I knit her Minimalist shawl back in 2019. 

On to today's decluttering suggestions.  They are:

  • Purge your Social Media Following Lists
  • Additional Rooms: Go through and get rid of unnecessary items, or-organize & clean.

I have been cleaning up my social media for the past few months.  And rather than clean up any other room, I decided finish putting away Christmas.  But first, 

  • I went to the store for a big shop
  • I did some laundry
  • I got out the metal snow shovel and shoveled up the dead, frozen opossum that was in my yard and heaved it over into the ravine at the back of my property.  It appeared a couple of days ago when it was so cold.  It was probably sick because I didn't see any bite marks or other damage.
  • I watered all the houseplants in the sunroom, something I'm working on being better at!
  • I FINALLY got the bathroom sink drain running smoothly again.  Roto Rooter gel drain unclogger did the trick.  Three applications of it.  This after two of another brand (Zep) last week that didn't work.  I do think I need to have all the lines rodded out this spring, however,  I'm wondering if there are some roots in the pipes.
  • I put all the rest of the Christmas things away - except for the Belleek bells which are still on the kitchen table.  I got the box upstairs and I will deal with them tomorrow.

Here's the sunroom now - this is where the tree was.

I'm ready to sit down and knit for a bit and then figure out something for dinner.  

But first, here is amaryllis #1

And here is amaryllis #2, it's so, so beautiful!!!  The perfect pop of color for my sunroom  :-) 

And now, it's snowing.  It's been cold here - in the teens for about a week.  The ground is now cold enough so that it's sticking. This is looking to be our first substantial snow of the season.

I don't have any kids, but here are some kids who are really great!


Comments

Retired Knitter said…
I love puzzles and have just this fall gotten back to doing them again. I think the wood puzzle is beautiful but I doubt I could do it. Too small. My eyes would just give out. I can see that it is challenging. The one I am working on right now is 1000 piece, pretty big but very challenging. I think the next one I pick will be less challenging.
Michelle said…
You've done a great job! I'd like to get the Christmas tree taken down here, too, but will need help because of the size of the tree. I'll look forward to some knitting progress photos!
A :-) said…
Elaine, I think this Lion might have been a knockoff. I checked on the Unidragon website, and the smallest lion they have there is larger than this one, and from their photos, at least some of the pieces actually interlock and this one does not. But it kept me busy for a couple of days when I needed a break from other stuff :-)

Michelle, thank you! I know you have a massive tree - I hope someone will help you with it soon! I'm definitely hoping to knit more in 2021 :-)

Popular Posts