Day 2 - 30-Day Declutter Challenge . . .

The decluttering suggestions for today are:

  • Purge your Clothes Closet
  • Kitchen Island & Hutch:  Go through items still in use, declutter, clean, and organize

I got a late start today because I went to a new endodontist for a second opinion on my wonky tooth.  It was a good visit - I'm getting x-rays sent to her and they did a special CT x-ray today.  I have another appointment in two weeks.  She did say that based on what she saw today, it will hurt again, so we're looking at everything to figure out all my options.  For the moment, it doesn't hurt, so I'm grateful.

Anyway - I swear this bar/island was clear yesterday . . . 

It didn't take too long to clear it and clean the granite.  Boxes went out to the recycle bin, I took that package to the P.O. and mailed it, and everything else found a home.

My hutch is mostly filled with yarn, so I decided to leave it as it currently is.  I was not in the mood to sort yarn today.

That takes us to my main clothes closet.  I have been divesting and letting things go for many years here now.  It's actually disturbing that I STILL have stuff I can get rid of.  What's even MORE disturbing is the amount of dust I vacuumed out of this closet and off the clothes.  Geez . . . 

I wasn't at a good angle to get a whole shot, so here is the top.

And here is the bottom.

I got to work, thinking that I know that most of the clothes in this closet don't fit me at the moment, but also knowing that I had gone through them within a few years.  I didn't think I would divest much, but I ended up with a bag of shoes, a bag of hangers, and two bags of clothing for the Second Chance Shop.  

 

 

Everything had to be vacuumed and places found for some things that didn't really belong in this closet, which led me to a wicker basket drawer at the bottom of my cedar chest that was also covered in dust and had to be vacuumed, and within which I found a bunch of papers from 2013 and two rolls of Lifesavers.  

I can't even . . . 

This closet took about three hours, all told, and my bestie spent some of the time on the phone with me as I sorted clothes, which made the time go faster.  Here is the final top.

And bottom.

And here is a closer look at the top right before

And after.  I was able to divest a lot of wire hangers and switch some of my shirts over to plastic ones.  And I'm happy about the items I chose to divest.  Some I never liked and don't know why I bought them, and some I was just done with.  This was a good project!

Here is the left side before.  Yes, that's dust on that bag . . .

And after.  I didn't lose much on this rack, but at least the tops are dusted off.

I forgot to take a before of this bottom right rack, but here is the after.  I lost the most from this rack and the upper rack.  In case you are wondering, this is a California Closet.  They are so worth the money I spent on them. 

I found this windbreaker which hasn't fit me for probably 30 years, but it has a bunch of my Volksmarching patches on it that I never wanted to lose.  


I'm going to get a seam ripper out and gently remove these patches and save them with the rest that just never got put on . . . I think I'll make a banner for them at some point and collect them there.

Nothing much happening yet with the amaryllis.

So.  Day two of decluttering down, 28 more to go!  :-D  

I will share more from this CD this month - it's one of my favorites.  From the late 80's.  The CD is called Winterfall.  It's actually available on Amazon!  This tune is The Angels Sing.  


Comments

Michelle said…
That's two great days of decluttering!!!
Kim said…
Great job! I also had my master closet done, but used Closet Works. I am so happy with the results. It does help keep things organized. And yes, the dust can be an issue. In my master closet is also my furnace closet so I am ALWAYS dusting. I have the vent in there closed to keep things cleaner. Instead of doing all the clothes, I cleaned the drawers in the closet which include 5 drawers. Those are all neat and organized. On to day 3!!
A :-) said…
Thanks Michelle! :-)

Kim - I have a door chest and a lingerie chest rather than a dresser - those will be worked on at some point this month for sure.
Retired Knitter said…
You are doing great!! I need to get moving on this!!

Popular Posts