Day 20 - 30-Day Declutter Challenge . . .

While I was cleaning out my desk drawer yesterday I found two quotes that I have either carried around or pinned to my board.  You should be able to biggify that photo and read them.  After Awhile, written by Veronica A.Shoffstall is one I cut from the newspaper probably 30-odd years ago and covered in tape.  It didn't stop the newsprint from yellowing, but it's still all in one piece.  I think it was from a Dear Abby or Anne Landers column.  The Margaret Mead quote has always been important to me.  She spoke at my college and I was lucky enough to hear her.  It was a small group.  I seem to have a memory of shaking her hand, but I'm not sure anymore.  I do remember her cape and walking stick . . .

Anyway, the decluttering suggestions for today are:

  • Clean out Desk
  • Craft Space: Really evaluate what you need and still use.  Donate items to school.

OK - I finished up my desk this morning, and then decided to look seriously at my craft stuff to see if there was anything I could divest.  Of course there was.  I have craft stuff in assorted locations around the house, but this cupboard is the main place.  I had already pulled the notebooks out in the before shot.  They contain hard copies of certain patterns, and one notebook has class notes/handouts from assorted classes I've taken over the years.  I made some good decisions and was able to let go of quite a few patterns - overall probably a notebook's work.  There were also alot of notions that I didn't want to keep and an odd assortment of project bags that I don't use.  These things and some old weaving things from the basement are now in a tub to go with me to the COWS (Crankers of Wonderful Socks) crank-in this summer where they have a garage sale table.  I hope that COWS will be able to go forward in 2021.  I'm crossing my fingers.  Anyway, I know it doesn't look all that different.  The bottom two and half shelves are projects that are in process.  I really need to start finishing some things . . .

Here is the tub of stuff to take to COWS.

And here is the basket of notions - I also went through some yarns including some of my handspun that either there just isn't enough of to make anything I might want to make, or I didn't like it spun up.  The basket will go too.  I have enough - more than enough - baskets in this house.

I am very close to being finished.  Tomorrow's tasks involve the basement.  Mostly what is down there is stuff I think I want to keep, but again, if it's been down there all this time and I haven't touched it, do I really need it???  I went through a few things today - like purses - that I knew were coming up, but I wanted to get them done because there were definitely some that are in the pile now to donate. 

The things that are left on the calendars are overlap or things like kids' toys, etc., and I don't have any kids.  I'm not cleaning out my garage in December in Chicagoland - that's a summer project, as is the back deck, and although my car is six years old, it looks like new because I keep it pretty sharp.  I looked it over today and grabbed one CD that I no longer wanted.  That's about it.  So, tomorrow will be the basement.  I'll see how much I can get accomplished down there.  I imagine there will be a LOT of vacuuming, and probably quite a bit to toss, as well as some to donate. 

I've sped up a bit here at the end because I want to make my run to the Second Chance Shop probably on Tuesday before I drop off coats for the Chicago Bears' coat drive.  I also need to take some stuff to a place in the next village over that repairs electronics and then gives them to children in need.  So - three locations to do drop-offs, and then I'm done.  

So 20 days down - and I'm not quite sure how many will be left.  :-)  

Here's amaryllis #1.  Yay!!!  It had a slow start, but it's rolling now!

And here is amaryllis #2 looking great!

Sigh . . . 

Comments

Popular Posts