Another New Year's Eve . . .

What a year it's been . . . 

It was a whirlwind for me.  January saw me in Florida to celebrate J's birthday.  Within weeks I had given my notice at work after 16 years - 14 of which were amazing.  I retired early on March 3rd, and I had one great week and then the world went sideways - sideways over a cliff only to land in a burning dumpster.  JesusMaryandJoseph.  AndAllOfHisCarpenterFriends.

I confess that I am happy to see the back of this year as Father Time makes his exit.  Don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on your way out tonight, Dude.

I hold great hope in my heart for 2021.  I'm hopeful for the Senate elections in Georgia, and it's only 3 weeks until Joe Biden and Kamala Harris take office.  And as another friend of mine has said, I know things are not going to be better overnight.  I mean, COVID isn't going anywhere.  Most of us don't have the vaccine yet.  Our country remains locked in a cold civil war that will not be easy to bridge.  I'm not going to wake up tomorrow miraculously thin, and pretty much all events for 2021 are already cancelled . . .  Clearly there is work to be done.  A lot of it on a lot of fronts.  But I believe that if anyone can bridge our Continental Divide, it's Joe and Kamala.  And even though things won't be better right away - they WILL be better. 

I raise a glass tonight as we move forward into the future.  I wish you all good things in the coming new year - love and laughter, and happiness and joy, as well as health and wellness and your place in the vaccine line very soon. 

I know I share this song every New Year's Eve.  Seems like we need it more than ever this year.  But as I walk toward the new year I am reminded that I am alive, and healthy, and safe at home.  Those things don't mean that I'm not happy to be done with 2020, however.  I am.  You probably are, too.  So I raise my glass to you, because it's just another New Year's Eve . . .  :-)


Comments

Michelle said…
Hopeful, but realistic. I like it! Happy New Year, my friend. May 2021 see you with your honey more often!
Kim said…
Happy New Year to you! Well said. I am hopeful for a better new year.
A :-) said…
Michelle, Happy New Year!! J and I really miss each other. It will be a year at the end of this month since we've actually seen each other. Skype helps, but it's just not the same.

Kim, Happy New Year!! Thank you - let's hope together for a better 2021!

Popular Posts